Error in cloth

4991   4   0
29 posts
Ok, So I've been playing with cloth today and I've been stuck all day trying to figure an issue out. So I originally create a plane, a tube and a sphere. I make the plane a static object and and the sphere and the tube an RBD Object. The tube is one a pin constraint so once it swings down it hits the sphere and the sphere hits the ramp.

The issue comes in when I turn the sphere into a dentable object. in my dop network under clothsolver I get an error saying “Error cannot solve: Static/RBD Objects have bad or non-polygonal geometry”. The sphere is already a polygon…. so I don't know what's going on. Can anyone lend me a hand?

Attachments:
Error_01.jpg (337.3 KB)
cloth_test.hipnc (139.9 KB)

4140 posts
The file you posted isn't in any error state, so I'll have to surmise what you're doing on your end. The sphere in that hip is in fact a primitive sphere, not poly, so alter that in the sphere SOP before making a dentable object. Also, I assume you know you can't directly convert an RBD object to a cloth/dentable? You can use the Remove From Simulation shelf tool first, change the Sphere SOP to poly, and then create a dentable and it should work.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
29 posts
Hey, JColdrick! Thank you for the prompt response. I apologize…. I uploaded the wrong scene file. I am aware that you can't directly convert an RBD object to a cloth/dentable. I've uploaded the new scene file.

Attachments:
cloth_test_01.hipnc (153.6 KB)

8605 posts
your tube is a primitive
like the error says Static/RBD Objects have bad or non-polygonal geometry
so it refers to tube RBD object
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
29 posts
Hey, tamte! Yeah, I for some reason wasn't paying attention to that. For some reason I was thinking it was the sphere and not the tube. So what I ended up doing earlier today was converting the tube to a polygon and making some other minor changes.

Anyways, I started with a new scene file and everything worked out fine. Attached is the new scene if anyone cares. Thank you all for being patient and helping out.

Attachments:
cloth_test_03_01.hipnc (174.9 KB)