Beginners Q's (switching from maya)

28575   29   8
24 posts
Hey,
couple of questions
Firstly is it possible to ring selection? i can find it using ‘s’ and right click only loop.
Secondly with the insert edge loop tool is it possible to ‘snap’ to the midpoint of a line? i i want to split a model in half and id like to snap it exactly.

Thanks
710 posts
Hi Jedi,
When you right-click on an edge during selection mode, the menu shows the keyboard shortcuts (l for partial edge loops, shift+l for complete edge loops). When you right-click during the insert edge loop op, the menu gives you a midpoint option. There is also a maya to houdini transition guide. The help docs are your friend.
24 posts
i can't find ring selection, i can find loop and various loop related shortcuts, but no ring selection.

Attachments:
noRing.png (61.5 KB)

1631 posts
What do you mean by ring? Maybe you can try to select a Primitives loop then switch to Edges.

Cheers!
steven
349 posts
He means seleting the edges that flow across the face of a polygon, rather than down the edge of one. And afaik Ive never seen a ring select option.

Oh and nice to see you moving from Maya to Houdini pottsy!
24 posts
ragupasta
He means seleting the edges that flow across the face of a polygon, rather than down the edge of one. And afaik Ive never seen a ring select option.

Oh and nice to see you moving from Maya to Houdini pottsy!

Hey,
You on the 3DPalace forums?
Damn, i like the ring select feature
I'm not ‘moving’ as such, when i was FMX framestore said i would need to know both maya and houdini if i wanted to do dynamics and effects, so im learning Houdini. I still prefer maya for modelling but so far for everything else Houdini Rocks!
696 posts
stevenong
What do you mean by ring? Maybe you can try to select a Primitives loop then switch to Edges.

Cheers!
steven

Ring select is selecting the edges that are parallel to the first one picked and it's invaluable for poly modeling… I remember seeing somewhere about a way to do that in houdini, but I've forgotten how and where! Not very useful…

Anyways, will be on the lookout for that

cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
696 posts
it's not particularly intuitive. But doable

press 3 to select an edge
press l to select the loop
press 4 to select the connected polygons
press 3 to select edges
press shift b to select the boundary
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
696 posts
Allegro
it's not particularly intuitive. But doable

press 3 to select an edge
press l to select the loop
press 4 to select the connected polygons
press 3 to select edges
press shift b to select the boundary

It's pretty close, I'm posting a couple images of the desired result vs your result. It's still quite different cause a ring can be for one edge only as well as for a loop and it spans to as many “parallel” edges there would be to the one you selected first.

Does it make sense?

Cheers

Attachments:
Picture 3.png (151.8 KB)
Picture 4.png (153.3 KB)

Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
696 posts
Oh, didn't know that's what you were trying to do.

Nope can't figure out that one.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
349 posts
Jedipottsy
Hey,
You on the 3DPalace forums?
Damn, i like the ring select feature
I'm not ‘moving’ as such, when i was FMX framestore said i would need to know both maya and houdini if i wanted to do dynamics and effects, so im learning Houdini. I still prefer maya for modelling but so far for everything else Houdini Rocks!

Yup.

A ring selection tool would be advatagoius indeed. I find using Houdini opens many doors, I find shut in other apps.
2 posts
A rudimental edgering-workaround:

1. Select a Polygon-Loop
2. “CTRL+i” to invert the selection
3. Press “3” to convert to edges
4. “CTRL+i” to invert the selection

Eric
24 posts
Hey,
how would i go about creating slow motion fluids? such as slow motion water drop or breaking glass.

Thanks
349 posts
Here is a lot of important information regarding fluids, in the tutorials section found here… http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1301&Itemid=132 [sidefx.com]

For breaking glass, there is a basic .hip file that comes bundled with Houdini. Check the help contents inside of Houdini. Lots of files in there to learn from. Load one up and dissect it. Its a great and fast way of learning things.
412 posts
superquadric
A rudimental edgering-workaround:

1. Select a Polygon-Loop
2. “CTRL+i” to invert the selection
3. Press “3” to convert to edges
4. “CTRL+i” to invert the selection

Eric

and if i could find a python/hscript command for input selectors such as loop, invert, etc we could easily create a very basic otl/shelf tool that's binded to a single hotkey.. but alas, can't seem to figure this out.. anyone else?

would be interesting if there was a python/hscript command to execute hotkeys as well. so you could just write a script that runs through a series of customized hotkey operations and throw it up on the shelf as a tool..
Dave Quirus
24 posts
Hey,
Im having some performance problems with my system. Is it possible to switch over to linux? How would i do this and transfer my license. Same machine, just ubuntu instead of windows.

Thanks
Staff
2540 posts
Zipper ring selections are real cool for doing knurls and other things like wrinkles.
Just do a zipper ring selection, PolyBevel, then pull by normals and you get nice knurls super fast.

So many other uses for zipper ring selections. Add me to the list.

Having the selection method in python would be very useful.
There's at least one school like the old school!
349 posts
Jedipottsy
Hey,
Im having some performance problems with my system. Is it possible to switch over to linux? How would i do this and transfer my license. Same machine, just ubuntu instead of windows.

Thanks

Whats the performance issue you have got? I run H10 on Vista x64 and Ubuntu, and there is a slight performance bonus I find on Ububtu, but not a vast amount between.
What are you working on?
Things like lots and lots of groups can slow things down, so when they are no longer needed, add a groupSOP and delete those groups.
Also if you have a large amount of attributes that are no longer needed, add an attributeSOP and under the attribute type (points/prims ect), just add those attribs in the delete feild, or a “*” if you dont need any of them.

There are quite a few ways to speed things up in Houdini, but without seeing a file (if its non-NDA) we cant really help that much.

EDIT: Also thought I would add, not every part of Houdini is multithreaded afaik.
24 posts
I get slow performance during fluid simulations. In comparison to digital tutors videos aswell as the houdini fluid tutorials performance is slower. I have a Q9550, 8GB ram, 512mb 9800gtx+, Windows 7 64, latest drivers and everything upto date. Houdini doesnt seem to use more than 2gb of ram. I also can't display fluid guide geometry even on really small simulations as the whole thing chugs. I have everything cached to disk but even playback of 300 frames is slow.
Staff
2540 posts
What Houdini build are you using. There have been a few fluid performance improvements over the last couple months.

Make sure to download the latest build of Houdini and see if it improves performance of simulations (mostly with volume grid based fluids).
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links