User Variables

7581   3   1
2624 posts
Where could I find the location of the file holding the list of variables listed under edit > aliases & variables. I would like to enter some permanent custom variables if that's possible.

R
Gone fishing
Staff
2540 posts
There is no specific file per se.

Two method off the top of my head:

1. Set the Houdini variables in either a 123.cmd, 456.cmd or 123.py and 456.py files located in the HOUDINI_PATH.

2. Set the varialbes in the shell used to launch Houdini. Houdini can access shell variables as it inherits them when it launches.

Smaller facilities tend to use 1 more than 2. Large facilities tend to use 2 more than 1. You can use both. methods.
There's at least one school like the old school!
28 posts
Hey Jeff,

I've been trying to set things up in such a way that I can have the convenience of accessing houdini variables by $NAME in string parameters for things such as $JOB, $SEQ, $SCN, etc…

So I've been relying on my 123.cmd / 456.cmd files using the ‘setenv’ command to set Houdini variables based on values in my Unix environment. No probs there really…

Based on your response to circusmonkey, would I be correct in stating that a larger facility setup would then be using a call to os.environ and circumventing H's custom variables?
gregory yepes | http://www.GregoryYepes.com [www.gregoryyepes.com]
Staff
2540 posts
Pretty much yes. There is the need to support multiple software packages within a controlled environment where you have asset and shot tracking thrown in to the mix.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links