recent builds cause errors in console

5636   6   0
575 posts
Hi

i see some error messages in the console when starting recent builds, the last working one, I had installed is 10.0.465, newer ones seem to have problems with some directories. I'm running windows 7 ultimate

the error looks like this:

Could not initialize help system: error: Zugriff verweigert: ‘c:\\users\\admin/*.*’
exception: WindowsError
details: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<stdin>”, line 1, in <module>
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.541/houdini/scripts/python\houdinihelp\__init__.py”, line 5, in <module>
from wikiparser.textify import dechar
File “C:\cygwin\home\prisms\builder-new\Nightly10.0\dev\src\houdini\help\wikiparser\textify.py”, line 4, in <module>
File “Ccygwin/home/prisms/builder-new/Nightly10.0/dev/hfs\houdini/scripts/pythonlibs\genshi\__init__.py”, line 24, in <module>
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.541/houdini/scripts/pythonlibs\pkg_resources.py”, line 2553, in <module>
working_set = WorkingSet()
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.541/houdini/scripts/pythonlibs\pkg_resources.py”, line 384, in __init__
self.add_entry(entry)
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.541/houdini/scripts/pythonlibs\pkg_resources.py”, line 399, in add_entry
for dist in find_distributions(entry, True):
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.541/houdini/scripts/pythonlibs\pkg_resources.py”, line 1659, in find_on_path
for entry in os.listdir(path_item):
WindowsError: Zugriff verweigert: ‘c:\\users\\admin/*.*’

does anybody else experience this?

Martin
Staff
1256 posts
Hi Martin,

I can't seem to reproduce the error. Out of curiosity, are you still able to run 10.0.465 even after running into the error in recent builds?

Also…
- By any chance, are you trying to start Houdini as the ‘admin’ user? If so, have you also tried starting 10.0.465 as ‘admin’?
- Does c:\\users\\admin actually exist?

Cheers,
Rob
575 posts
Hi,

The 10.0.465 still work without any error messages.

I tried several things:

I installed it, logged in as user, windows7 prompting for the admin password, then after the errors I uninstalled it, and tried it by logging in as admin and installing it from there.

Now i tried to start it in admin account like You suggested and there was no error, but tada, the error on my account is gone, too

Strange , but thank You
575 posts
it;s back again, and I discovered that it does not happen when I simply click on a hipfile to start houdini. Another strange thing is that when I start houdini this way, all my variables I set in the houdini.env file in my user/houdinix.x directory are actually set. This also does not work when I start Houdini from the startmenu.

Martin

PS: I'm running houdini on windows 7 ultimate
7725 posts
It sounds like the reason why it's not working is that the Houdini Start menu shortcut is launching it with the wrong user. You still haven't answered the questions asked previously. You're not being clear on two very important points:
- What user were you logged in as when you last installed Houdini
- What user were you logged in as when you launched Houdini
575 posts
oh, sorry for not being clear ops:
I tried it 2 ways,

-I logged in as admin and installed it directly as admin

-I started the installer with the right mouse option, run as admin in my user account.

now I want to start houdini as user, but get the errors from startmenu

WindowsError: Zugriff verweigert: ‘c:\\users\\admin/*.*’
…..

launch, also it seem's that the help does not work, for example when I press on the question mark of a operator the help does open blank.
when I start it with clicking on file everything works fine.

when I log in as user everything works fine ( no errors, working help)

what else informations can I provide

thanks in advance

Martin
575 posts
ha, great, I found it

the menu entry in the start menu is executed in C:\Users\Admin, I corrected it to C:\Users\Martin and everything is fine.

only my houdini.env file is still not used, but that didn't work before, too.

thanks for Your time

Martin
  • Quick Links