Noob Questions

60571   62   1
114 posts
Thanks the point slider works but have a question.

If i was to work on another pc i would need the point slider sop right ? otherwise the model would fall apart ?

Is there a way to find the co-ordinates for the point and manually insert them ?
114 posts
Had a look on the forum for a way to create smoothing groups like that in 3ds max am i correct to think that this carnt be done without splitting the modelling into millions of points ???
859 posts
Lyonz
Had a look on the forum for a way to create smoothing groups like that in 3ds max am i correct to think that this carnt be done without splitting the modelling into millions of points ???

My feeling is that 3dsmax also splits them into millions of points, only it doesn't tell you.
--
Jobless
114 posts
Soothsayer
Lyonz

My feeling is that 3dsmax also splits them into millions of points, only it doesn't tell you.

I read the note you posted about using the facet sop but is it not for creating hard edges using the cusp option ?

If someone could give a basic example of the best way to smooth faces on an object that would be great.
859 posts
It's been a long time since I used max, but I'm pretty confident you can simulate everything the smoothing groups do with the facet sop and a group sop, and if needed a few expressions. In general, decide which faces you want to be smoothed, depending on color, or angle or whatever is needed.

Max's smoothing groups are unnecessarily complicated if you ask me. They hide the fact that they actually do very little apart from confuse the user. XSI has been living without it since forever and you can smooth any standard thing you want, with a little work. I think that if you play around a bit with the aforementioned sops you'll quickly get used to it and the need for max-style smoothing group will dissappear. (I used to have the same problem when I switched apps, desperately searching for smoothing groups in various apps until I realized I don't actually need them)

When you have hard edges you split the points, but if you look closely you will realize that the number of vertices stays the same because each face still has its own set of vertices and that won't change. Think of it as a convenient way of seeing how smoothing really works (check the normals!).
--
Jobless
114 posts
I am currently trying to create the tread on a tyre and have uploaded an example. I am wanting the tread block walls, tops and bottom to have there own smoothing.

The image to the left has nothing applied to it and looks smooth, the image to the right has a group sop + facet with the option of unique points which gets the edge i want for the bottom and top.

It also removes the black lines from the left image and have checked that all the normals are facing the correct way so not sure why this is happening.

Problem with this is it splits the faces into double points and im wanting to mirror this a few times to create a seamless wheel. I have also looked close and the point numbers are not the same. And lastly i have tried to use cusp polygons/ cusp angle but even at 360 degrees it doesnt get the edge i want.

Thanks

Attachments:
Smoothing Groups.jpg (134.8 KB)

678 posts
Something like this ?

Top is smooth, middle is sharp, and then bottom again is smooth (you may not see it here directly because its not extruded).

Anyway, you will not see this effect in viewport, only after rendering.

Attachments:
toVerts.hipnc (99.1 KB)
IsThisIsWhatYouWant.jpg (34.8 KB)

678 posts
Here you can see it better. Extruded from sphere and subdivided and middle part still has it own smoothing.

Attachments:
x.jpg (15.2 KB)

114 posts
Thanks for the reply after alot of trial and error i have not been able to, keep the lines soft inbetween the top and bottom of the object . I have been informed that houdini is unable to do this.
295 posts
Maybe if you post a shot of the effect your looking to model as it's done in Max, then we might be able to suggest an approach in Houdini. I'm not 100% sure what you need but I'd be surprised if it can't be done.
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
40 posts
I got one Why does this shadow map not render out correctly? I thought I couldn't mess up with shadow maps but hey, looks like I can

Attachments:
shadowmap.hipnc (161.6 KB)

295 posts
I think you have to:
a) really know what you're doing (I don't/didn't and couldn't get them to work very well either)
b) tweak them a lot, but that sort of requires a)
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
Staff
181 posts
If you look through the light you will see why you are getting “cut” shadows… Change the Ortho width under the Spot Light Options to something like 20, and it should work fine…
40 posts
I thought I might have something to do with clipping in the lights ortho plane but abandoned that idea when raytraced shadow did not appear to have any problem with that - so i blamed it on something quality-like. Thanks guys!
114 posts
Can anyone tell me how to combine, an alpha texture over the top of a displaced object? I have tried using a few shaders like vex layered surface but this doesnt have the displace option.

I am trying to create a realistic light shown in the tutorial below, i would like to use a glass type shader, apply displacement and use an alpha texture over the top, wondering if i have to create a custom shader ?

http://www.dmmultimedia.com/3dtips_04b.htm [dmmultimedia.com]
40 posts
I'm not sure what is the difference between alpha and opacity and I'm not sure what you mean by “over the top” but the following combines alpha and displacement in one shader - requires just 3 nodes.

Attachments:
untitled.hipnc (95.2 KB)

114 posts
I am wanting to have a glass shader with a displacement to get the bumps which i can do but I also want a texture map over that of that using an alpha.

In the file is a sphere using a glass vex shader and has a displacement applied to it. I am still unsure how to put a alpha texture over the top ?

The difference between opacity and alpha is that i dont want the hole image to be transparent only certain areas.

Also wondering if the setup is different for a none transparent shader?

Thanks

Attachments:
alpha.hipnc (471.3 KB)

8551 posts
if you use Glass from the Material Palette, there are options in Decal Tab to add an image with alpha on top of the glass
then just dive inside the material and add displacement shader and some displace properties to property shader if you need (like disp. bounds or true disp.)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
114 posts
tamte
if you use Glass from the Material Palette, there are options in Decal Tab to add an image with alpha on top of the glass
then just dive inside the material and add displacement shader and some displace properties to property shader if you need (like disp. bounds or true disp.)

Thanks for replying yes this is what i wanted still abit unsure how to get the true displace option though?
40 posts
Does anyone know how to make a closed NURBS curve without the interior getting a surface?
  • Quick Links