Help for the Install please

18537   30   3
18 posts
Hello all

To try Houdini I downloaded the Houdini Apprentice.
The install has blocked the execution of gfont.exe, Grrrr!
I use Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Help me please !
18 posts
I downloaded the Houdini Apprentice.
The install has blocked the execution of gfont.exe,

Execute: “C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.446.9\bin\gfont.exe” -Sq -o “C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.446.9\houdini\fonts\font.index”

dfont.exe starts up, it appears well in the process but inactive.
if I stop this installation process continued, but Houdini did not start …

I use Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Operating System
Windows: Tested on Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)

AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-core 2.3GHz
8 Go RAM
Firewall desactived

Could you help me please?
18 posts
Excuse me but you have to kneel to get help from Houdini Forum ?… :shock:

I am currently working on Softimage, which happens about this software at this time does not presage good things I look at the software that could replace advantageously.
There is Max or Maya but is still at Autodesk … so I thought that Houdini would be a good solution, but if I can not even install it and that the forum dedicated to it remains silent …

I am disappointed … :?
519 posts
If you want to evaluate houdini can't you use the h10 version for now? As you saw on another thread there is an issue with gfont on some windows systems. I am sure folks at sidefx are working hard to get this issue solved asap.

Or try H11 on linux, works like a charm…

Cheers,
Hans
7756 posts
c@mesigue
The install has blocked the execution of gfont.exe

Just kill gfont.exe from the Task Manager when it hangs. After that, you should still be able to start Houdini from the Start Menu.

To help narrow down why gfont.exe is hanging, do this
- From the Start menu, choose Houdini … > Command Line Tools
- Now copy/paste the following command (all one line) into it. Note the -Sv option that is different.
“C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.446.9\bin\gfont.exe” -Sv -o “C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.446.9\houdini\fonts\font.index”
- This should bring up a “Houdini Console” window on your task bar. When it it no longer outputting any more to it, copy/paste that into an email and send it to support AT sidefx.com along with a description of your installation problem.
18 posts
First I guess I have to choose “apprentice license”?
Second gfont.exe but I stopped setup was again blocked Hkey.exe …
Thirdly I copied and pasted the line of code in “run …”
Apparently gfont.exe is not found by Windows
Windows installs programs through the files read-only, so as soon as gfont.exe was blocked I put all the files of Houdini accessible but…
Maybe the solution is to tell Windows to install the programs with open files?

But I do not know how, if only it is possible…

Thank you for your help and excuse the stress I refer you spite me.
18 posts
I have the same problem of access to files with administrator or user …
I use Avast, it could be the cause?
7756 posts
c@mesigue
First I guess I have to choose “apprentice license”?

1. Download and install the latest DAILY Houdini build (eg. Houdini 11.0.464)
2. Now follow the gfont instructions I gave again. NOTE: You must run gfont from the Command Line Tools as described.

If Windows prompts asking for extra permissions, always allow it.
203 posts
edward
c@mesigue
The install has blocked the execution of gfont.exe

Just kill gfont.exe from the Task Manager when it hangs. After that, you should still be able to start Houdini from the Start Menu.

To help narrow down why gfont.exe is hanging, do this
- From the Start menu, choose Houdini … > Command Line Tools
- Now copy/paste the following command (all one line) into it. Note the -Sv option that is different.
“C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.446.9\bin\gfont.exe” -Sv -o “C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.446.9\houdini\fonts\font.index”
- This should bring up a “Houdini Console” window on your task bar. When it it no longer outputting any more to it, copy/paste that into an email and send it to support AT sidefx.com along with a description of your installation problem.

I wish, attached is a screen shot of Houdini “running”, taken from my post in the other thread [sidefx.com].
As for gfont, attached is a screenshot of it “running”.

Attachments:
gfont.png (54.3 KB)
hmaster.png (6.5 KB)

Most of My Houdini Renders [flickr.com]
My System [evga.com]
18 posts

gfont.exe Running
hkey.exe Running
hmaster.exe Running

But Nothing on the screen…

Your version Microsoft Windows 6.1.7601
My version Microsoft Windows 6.1.7600

track?…

I just saw that you launched the command line from the console Houdini.
I've done (sorry)

* hcmd.exe 4596k process 0 at the screen nothing…
* hmaster.exe 3748k process 0 at the screen nothing…
Applications No Houdini program run…
font.index unchanged…
7756 posts
Some quick notes first:
- Before you do any of the steps I mentioned: DISABLE all firewall and antivirus software.
- gfont is not necessary for the proper running of Houdini. If it doesn't work, it just means you won't have access to the TrueType fonts when using the Font nodes.

A modification of my instructions. Start the “Command Line Tools” by right-clicking on it and choose Run As Administrator. Better yet, trying disabling UAC first as well if you can.

I'll post some screenshots later.
18 posts
I had not seen the crash_log …

hkey crash:
Code:
Crash report from —-; Unknown App Version 11.0.446.9
Traceback from Thu Jul 29 11:27:34 2010
Caught signal 11
+0x776f8d50
+0x774dc4ca
+0x732d6dfb
+0x73e5f358
+0x73e3de82
+0x73e3fe13
+0x73e3e546
+0x73e9f401
+0x4000af99
+0x7150b815
+0x7150be0f
+0x4000c02c
+0x774cbe3d
+0x776d6a51

hmaster crash:
Code:
Crash report from —-; Unknown App Version 11.0.446.9
Traceback from Thu Jul 29 11:36:04 2010
Caught signal 11
+0x776f8d50
+0x774dc4ca
+0x732d6dfb
+0x70380db8
+0x70286210
+0x73e3ab7d
+0x73e3df59
+0x73e3fec1
+0x73e3e546
+0x73e45b9f
+0x741c859f
+0x741c8daa
+0x741cab52
+0x741cb4e1
+0x741c8ca3
+0x714e9a59
+0x7150b7cf
+0x7150be0f
+0x4000187c
+0x774cbe3d
+0x776d6a51
203 posts
edward
Some quick notes first:
- Before you do any of the steps I mentioned: DISABLE all firewall and antivirus software.
- gfont is not necessary for the proper running of Houdini. If it doesn't work, it just means you won't have access to the TrueType fonts when using the Font nodes.

A modification of my instructions. Start the “Command Line Tools” by right-clicking on it and choose Run As Administrator. Better yet, trying disabling UAC first as well if you can.

I'll post some screenshots later.
Done all of that. :\
Also, regardless of gfont being necessary, Houdini doesn't run either way as of now.
And UAC has been disabled for a while now for me.

Thanks for the help attempts so far though.

c@mesigue
Your version Microsoft Windows 6.1.7601
My version Microsoft Windows 6.1.7600

I updated Win7 to Service Pack 1 Beta in a random attempt to get Houdini working.
My System [evga.com]
7756 posts
Try installing ONE of the following. Choose the appropriate link for your operating system:

32-bit Windows [microsoft.com]
64-bit Windows [microsoft.com]

EDIT: Updated links for Windows 7
203 posts
edward
Try installing ONE of the following. Choose the appropriate link for your operating system:

32-bit Windows [microsoft.com]
64-bit Windows [microsoft.com]

EDIT: Updated links for Windows 7
:\ No dice.
I might try rolling back my video card drivers to 257.15 or a version even before that. Worth a shot…
My System [evga.com]
8 posts
Build 11.0.471 fixes this issue !
Thanks !
203 posts
Same behavior here.
Here are the last few line from setup before it hangs
Extract: houdini_setup_bash
Extract: houdini_setup_csh
Extract: Readme.txt
Delete file: C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\fromaccom
Rename: C:\Users\Ross\Downloads\nssDFEB.tmp->C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\fromaccom
Delete file: C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\hcollapse
Rename: C:\Users\Ross\Downloads\nssDFEC.tmp->C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\hcollapse
Delete file: C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\hexpand
Rename: C:\Users\Ross\Downloads\nshDFFC.tmp->C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\hexpand
Delete file: C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\hrender
Rename: C:\Users\Ross\Downloads\nsxE00D.tmp->C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\hrender
Delete file: C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\ilookup.sh
Rename: C:\Users\Ross\Downloads\nsmE01D.tmp->C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\ilookup.sh
Delete file: C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\toaccom
Rename: C:\Users\Ross\Downloads\nscE02E.tmp->C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\toaccom
Delete file: C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\uic
Rename: C:\Users\Ross\Downloads\nscE02F.tmp->C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\uic
Delete file: C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\zmore
Rename: C:\Users\Ross\Downloads\nssE040.tmp->C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\zmore

however, when it hangs, gfont is “running” (I'm not really sure it can be called running), and ending it allows installation to continue.

Running “C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\bin\gfont.exe” -Sv -o “C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.0.471\houdini\fonts\font.index” in Command Line Tools gives me the same results as earlier, gfont “runs” but there is no output in the console. :\

So, besides installation details looking different (perhaps due to “Houdini 11.0.471: The Houdini installer on Windows now runs gfont in verbose mode.”), not much has changed concerning functionality. I can attach the entire setup log if that would help. Tho since it works for Youen now, I'm thinking this might be my fault…
My System [evga.com]
8 posts
Houdini 11.0.471 works fine on my workstation now, but, on my laptop, installation is still hanging at the same point of you, Heydabop…

:cry:
7756 posts
This is how it should look on Vista 32-bit with Houdini 11.0.472. Note that you have to click on the Close button before the install will continue.

Attachments:
ClickOnClose.png (105.7 KB)

18 posts
Windows Seven Professionnal 64bit langage French : NIET ! Nothing new, no change alas…
I continue to follow the subject but this year I would take on Max. Training has begun …
  • Quick Links