Does Houdini have tools to style hair and fur?

5415   5   2
10 posts
Hello,

Another newbe question here, does Houdini have a specific tool set to style hair and fur ?
And if so are their any tutorials you can direct me to.

Thanks,
341 posts
There are 3 or 4 example files in the help-browser, just search for Fur and you get a couple. The other way is to download files from the forum and start messing around with them. Basically you build your own tools. The examplefiles are a good start. I started with the forum files a year a go and to day we have made a 3d polarbear rigged, fured, and rendered in Houdini.
And it's better then all the tools I come across earlier.

Good Luck

javascript:emoticon('')
Jens Martensson
Effects Supervisor @ Weta FX
10 posts
I was hoping their would be a pre made hair styling tool set, so as to comb, cut, curl, lengthen or brush interactively.
Something similar to that of Joe Alter’s Shave and a hair cut. http://www.joealter.com [joealter.com]

Anyway thanks for the tips, I’ll go through those files you’ve pointed out.
7025 posts
The Comb SOP does allow you to easily comb normals, to which the guide hairs are attached. No automatic Curl tools, but as always with Houdini it would be fairly easy (i.e. no programming required) to build, if you have time

Off the top of my head, I'd say you'd want a VEX operator that does curls (I believe Odforce has VEX code examples from myself and others) then paint attribute(s) that control the amount of curl.

As it happens, Jeff (oldschool) has just posted a couple of new blogs about painting attributes to control things.

Cheers,

Peter B
7025 posts
Network and render queue problems have conspired to give me time to put an example together. Note that the curly VOP SOP is especially hacky and poorly thought out.

You should be able to paint using the Comb to set orientation, and then paint using the Paint SOP to set curliness.

The Curliness is controlled by the colour, so Red controls rotation in X, Green contrls Y and Blue controls Z. Don't forget that the Z axis is aligned with the normal (i.e. pointing out from the “head”).

Set the Template flag on the Fur SOP to see the Fur update in “real time” (depending on your machine speed). Set the Density on the Fur SOP low (2-5) for faster performance.

Set the Display (blue) flag on the SOP you want to paint with, and hit Enter in the viewport to activate it.

Have fun

Cheers,

Peter B

Attachments:
FurGroomTest_v0001.hip.zip (19.8 KB)

10 posts
Hey thank you very much for this gift

I give this a go in the next few days as it is a holiday here.

Thanks again,
  • Quick Links