Curves and PolyBevel problem

4950   3   2
581 posts
Hi houdiniks.
Making some modeling with Houdini I have found one problem which I am not sure if is my mistake or something wrong in the PolyBevel SOP.
I make a curve, or a poly circle for example, and then I want o soft some corners, so I select the points for the corners and apply a poly bevel over them, then it can make only one repetition nevertheless I increase the repetition parameter, giving me only one new edge and not several edges to smooth the corner. I have test with all the bevel options, low/high density round, etc … But nothing.
Am I making something wrong or is simply a problem in the bevel tool.
Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
2540 posts
Perhaps you need to fuse the points before the Poly Bevel…

That is one thing about modelling in Houdini vs. other packages. You have to manage the fusing of points. Most operators (boolean Cookie SOP for example) have the fuse points toggle turned off if it has it at all.

To counter that, I will many times model with smooth wire shading. I can immediately tell when an edge is shared or not. I don't need to have prim normals on to see if polys are inward facing.

RFE: I really like the way that SketchUp shows the back side of polygons as a light blue (they support two sided shaders in OpenGL). You can quickly tell when you have a reversed face.
There's at least one school like the old school!
581 posts
jeff
Perhaps you need to fuse the points before the Poly Bevel…

RFE: I really like the way that SketchUp shows the back side of polygons as a light blue (they support two sided shaders in OpenGL). You can quickly tell when you have a reversed face.
Nop is not a fuse problem.
Try this simple thing, create a poly curve in the a plane, ZY, ZX, whatever, then add a poly bevel to all the points, it creates one extra edge per point, that's correct for 0 repetitions, now increase the number of repetitions in the poly bevel op, no more edges are created, this is the problem, it doesn't smooth more.
Ans yes, will be great to have something similar to sketchup to preview back polys.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
519 posts
I second Lisux remarks/bug. It's a pity the polybevel doesn't work on curves, it would save me a lot of headaches with modeling.
  • Quick Links