2000 Mocap files in BVH format from TrueBones.Com

40758   22   2
678 posts
Howdy folks,

Right now you can get over 2000 high quality mocap files for Houdini in BVH format from TrueBones.Com

For more information and or a free demo visit http://www.truebones.com [truebones.com] and Click on the MonsterBones Banner at the top of our page.

Thanks again and Cheers

Joe

Attachments:
C4Dbanner2.jpg (79.4 KB)

7715 posts
Here's a link to over 2000 FREE motion capture clips in BVH:

http://mocap.cs.cmu.edu/ [mocap.cs.cmu.edu]

Also see:
http://kitchen.cs.cmu.edu/ [kitchen.cs.cmu.edu]
678 posts
Hi Edward,

Your post is false.

The link you list are not in BVH format. They are in ASF format.

And would need to be converted to BVH and even restructured to a skeletal structure that is compatible with houdini program. Also the naming of bones is not the same like it is with TrueBones therefore none of the motions would merge onto the same skeleton without the tedious process of re-rigging your character for every new motion.

Same with the Kitchen MO,

TrueBones Motions are retargeted and contain the same skeletal and naming structure so that you dont have to go through the years of work it would take to do all of the above.

So before you tout FREE, Stop Look and Listen.

Cheers
7715 posts
Ah, sorry about that. For some reason, I thought they were BVH too.

No matter. In Houdini, just use the “mcacclaim” tool instead to import ASF/AMC files instead of using “mcbiovision” for BVH.

I'm not sure what you mean by restructuring the skeletal structure. The .asf file of the skeleton they used is provided.
678 posts
Hi Edward,

The quality of a lot of those files are very poor too,

The reason that they are free is because they are throwaway files from a government research grant.

TrueBones does not just sell Motion Capture, We also test them and ensure they work good through an intensive quality control process.

If you would like to try some free motion capture from TrueBones just download the free demo at http://truebones.com/freedemo/FreeBones.zip [truebones.com]

Also check out this free BVH editing and export tool that will help polish your mocap animations before importing into Houdini.

http://davedub.co.uk/bvhacker/index.html [davedub.co.uk]

Thanks again and Cheers

Joe
4140 posts

So before you make hard pitches in forums looking to get business from people, perhaps think twice about making snide comments to someone here who is highly respected. You want to *earn* our business, you're not entitled to it.

J.C.
John Coldrick
4261 posts
mrbones
The quality of a lot of those files are very poor too,

Some are poor, but some are very nice. (I've used them in various internal tests.) Plus all motion capture needs to be cleaned and tweaked once brought into Houdini. Nature of the beast.

Bad salesmanship for the loss.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
648 posts
wow 1st spam thread I've seen here. what happened?
678 posts
Not TrueBones Motion Capture, Is Pre Cleaned and Tweaked.

Cheers

Wolfwood
Some are poor, but some are very nice. (I've used them in various internal tests.) Plus all motion capture needs to be cleaned and tweaked once brought into Houdini.

678 posts
Just trying to save folks some time and money before they open up the CMU can of worms…No harm intended…

Cheers

JColdrick

So before you make hard pitches in forums looking to get business from people, perhaps think twice about making snide comments to someone here who is highly respected. You want to *earn* our business, you're not entitled to it.

J.C.
4140 posts
Your marketing skillz need polish, sir.

J.C.
John Coldrick
678 posts
http://truebones.com/smf/index.php?topic=1780.0 [truebones.com]

Heres some good information on polishing BVH files.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
6 posts
Do you know where i can get some tutorial for use BVH in houdini ?

Thank you
Be what you are.
7715 posts
Run your .bvh file using the command line tool, mcbiovision. Give it no arguments to see the command line options. This will produce a .cmd and .bclip file from your .bvh file. Now from Houdini, choose File > Run Script. Browse for the .cmd file.
6 posts
thank you for your answer,

where can i get “ the command line tool”, mcbiovision, wich program or where in houdini.

Thank you
Be what you are.
7715 posts
If you're on Windows, then do Start > Program Files > Side Effects Software > … > Command Line Tools
6 posts
thank you, i am on mac version, i find the shell terminal, maybe this is the same but on mac,

i find the command line tool, but what can i write on for do what you said. if i just past mcbiovision it s do nothing, how run .bvh on command line tool.

I begin with houdini, thank you for your answer.
Be what you are.
7715 posts
What does it say when you just run mcbiovision?
6 posts
excuse me i don't understand your question,

my last post mean : how run my .bvh file using the command line tool, mcbiovision ?

Thank you
Be what you are.
154 posts
excuse me i don't understand your question,

my last post mean : how run my .bvh file using the command line tool, mcbiovision ?

Thank you

I just tested out the conversion and import of a bvh file on the Mac. Here's what you do:

1. Open up Terminal with Houdini's path set up. The easiest way to do this is to double click on /Applications/Houdini 9.5.x/Houdini Shell.terminal
  2. run mcbiovision on your file (mcbiovision myfile.bvh outfile)
  3. fire up Houdini and go to File->Run Script…
  4. browse to your outfile.cmd file and run it (you'll probably get a bunch of bones all pointing in the same direction. Next we'll fix that)
  5. in the Network View, change the drop down to “ch” and look for your outfile channel
  6. double click outfile to drill into it
  7. click on the node “file1” and see that the path is just outfile.bclip (we need to tell Houdini where to find this file)
  8. click on the browse button and find the outfile.bclip file (should be next to the outfile.cmd file)
  9. that should be it!

I hope this helps
  • Quick Links