houdini demo CD? anyone?

7347   5   2
55 posts
Hi
I have been advived to ask someone here to burn me a copy of the demo cd provided with houdini ( for version 5.5, I think ). it contains files not provided yet with the non commercial version, but these are very helpful files. And as I am currently developping a tv project, and deciding with softwares are going to be used, I would really enjoy being as much fluent as possible with houdini. I feel ok with this soft right now, I am almost sure I will use it, but a few more tips would be very welcome. So I guess this cd could help me a lot! So…if anyone here has it, could you share it? I would really appreciate that!
4140 posts
It's all of a measly 100megs when compressed into a gzipped tar - any chance someone has a location that this can be posted? Assuming SESI is OK with this being “unofficially” distributed by others(I've left out the Viewpoint data, etc. - just OPspecific and Projects dirs), it makes more sense for it to live somewhere on the net so others can benefit rather than a single CD being burned.

Unfortunately our ftp site is used by our clients so I can't have stuff sitting there being accessed by users other than them, but anyone have some space for this on a server? The Oz site would be perfect, but I suspect because of their relationship with SESI this may not be possible since SESI doesn't want this stuff officially distro'ed. Does odforce.net have enough space/bandwidth for this?

Alternatively, I can literally just send this to you if you have a site and you're hispeed.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4260 posts
John uploaded the demo CD to my webhost,
if you would like the link just send me an
email at wolfwood@stickylight.com

I'll post a direct link here when
someone from SESI says its ok to.

Thanks,
jim price.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
4140 posts
Thanks Jim for jumping in here!

For the record, it's not the entire contents of demo from 5 - it's specifically the “OPspecific” and “Projects” directories only. Other dirs merely contain the same stuff you get in a regular v6 distro, and I was uncomfortable about including the Viewpoint sample data - typically there's licensing issues with that stuff. None of the missing stuff should have anything to do with the OPspecific examples, the initial point of the thread.

For anyone that downloads it to look at with v6:

YES, you will get various warnings on loading, and you may be asked about updating the OPs in the hip - I usually just say “update”.

However, either all, or the vast majority of the example hips will work properly and should give you some clever and proactical uses and ideas…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
2540 posts
If there are one or two hip files that just don't load and you are interested in the content, I am sure I can find a way to get them to work. I built and maintained almost all the files for many years. Some I even ported over from PRISMS. Goes to show you how time-honored and essential some of these techniques are to aspiring Houdini'ites. 8)

-jeff
There's at least one school like the old school!
1 posts
Hy
I think there was another tread with a link
to the old demo cd on vislab.usyd.edu

this one works better
http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/cd2_5.5.151/learningData/sample_files/ [vislab.usyd.edu.au]

sorry abaut my english
  • Quick Links