Suse Linux: which version do you use with Houdini?

2677   2   1
63 posts
Hello,

I've decided to try Linux on my machine, and my choice has narrowed down to OpenSuse. Could anyone using Houdini on Suse share some experience and tips, in particular which Suse version are you running?

I've searched the forums and encountered some posts about incompatibility between Suse 10.3/11 and H (the threads issue, maybe there are others) - is this solved or I should try the old 10.2? Also is there anything special between H 9.1 and 9.5 in terms of Suse versions, as I need to run both?

Cheers
4140 posts
The threads issue - Houdini defaults to shipping with UI threading off, which caused the problem due to buggy code in Xorg(note this is unrelated to threading with rendering - just the GUI) so you should see no problems on a new installation.

We run 10.2 and 10.3 here without problems, I haven't heard yet about any issues with SUSE 11 yet and haven't had the time to test it, perhaps someone else will step in with experiences. Personally, I would probably install SUSE 11 if I needed to set up a new system, although many would argue that like most OS and apps, SUSE doesn't really start to shine until a couple of point releases in. Safer would be 10.3, which is very nice. Don't bother with 10.2, 10.3 is better. As I said, though, I like to live dangerously myself and would go with 11.

IMHO you should be running the latest Houdini. I don't know of anything that isn't better in 9.5 with the *possible* exception of cloth, which seems to be in an odd state now, somewhat slower in my limited experience with it. There's been some really good improvements in 9.5 so I wouldn't keep yourself from it, however. Luckily, on Linux running multiple versions is positively trivial since there's no registry to worry about - just have it installed and use it if you want.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7028 posts
I use 10.2, 10.3 and 11.0 at home, though my main machine is 10.2, and Houdini runs fine on all of them.

I agree with John, generally you want to run the latest version of 9.5, however I always keep about a month's worth of older versions “just in case” I usually upgrade once a week or so. As John points out it's trivial in Linux to have multiple versions online simultaneously _except_ if you are using the -H multihost rendering in Mantra, then you have to be careful which version of Hserver you're running.

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links