memory allocation error ?

5935   8   3
2624 posts
I seem to be getting this a lot working on any fluids with Dop's geometry happening, even when trying to write the sim out. This is happening with a ball hitting the ground in DOPs with a fire and smoke solver.
I am just wondering does this sort of thing happen on 64bit linux systems as much ?

using the cache manager the DOp network crashes at 45% using 229.616 with a SOP cache of 35.87 and a total spare amount of ram 2991

R
Gone fishing
665 posts
We're on 32-bit over here and it happens all the time.

The 2 gig limit is pretty small when working with fluids! :x

-j
2624 posts
I think I shall be bumping up to 6 gigs and ubuntu 64 just to see what that does

R
Gone fishing
12503 posts
jacob clark
We're on 32-bit over here and it happens all the time.

The 2 gig limit is pretty small when working with fluids! :x

-j

I wonder if RAM is hugely fragmented?
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
50 posts
What do you mean fragmented? A contiguous virtual buffer can be very fragmented in physical memory, that will only affect performance.
Do you mean fragmentation in the heap?
12503 posts
Ah yeah, you're right - it affects performance more than anything. I thought perhaps it might be wasting a lot of space too.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
50 posts
I think the solver just allocates too much memory, and does not release unused memory as fast as possible, and when no more memory is available, it just crashes, which is not a very good solution to mem allocation failure.
17 posts
same situation happening here on win32… getting memory crashes with straight foward RBD simulation, very basic ones, like 60 RBD on a thousand frame, it will crash while computing sim after about 500 frames and even with the file node enabled and writting sim to disk, with fully computed sim in cache it crashes everytime when trying to export a .fbx of it… would going to win64 fix these issues? (quad xeon 2.2, 4G of ram)
696 posts
turning down the memory cache on the dop (it's in the simulation tab) network may be necessary on 32 bit machines….
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
  • Quick Links