default $HIP path

4852   3   0
4 posts
Hello,

Currently, when I start a fresh houdini session, the $HIP variable path is “CWINDOWS”, which cause a lot of problems because I it is a limited rights user account (with read only access to the C:\drive). I know how to setup variables like $JOB, but I dont't understand how I can change this default path…
Basically, I would like to setup houdini to not use any path pointing to this drive…

thanks
4140 posts
I'm not on windows at the moment, but $HIP can't really be overridden because it's defined as ‘where I started Houdini’. I would say two solutions are to start houdini from a different location(trivial on Linux but offhand I'm not sure where you change that on Windows except possibly editing the start icon and changing the ‘run from’ location'), or to not feel tied to $HIP and use anything you want, which you could define as an environment variable. We use $JOB - it's a good starting point.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4 posts
Thanks you very much, it did exactly what I want… the shortcut was pointing to the administrator acount, causing many problems…
7716 posts
JColdrick
$HIP can't really be overridden because it's defined as ‘where I started Houdini’.

To be precise, it's actually the directory of your currently loaded .hip file. However, when you first load Houdini, there's no real .hip file yet and that is why $HIP is initially where you started Houdini.
  • Quick Links