How to cut font object into solid chunks?

4274   5   1
32 posts
Hi,

I've read a bit about the shatter tool and it seems as though a lot of people are having trouble with random polys sticking out of objects with the inside surfaces option turned on. SO…

If I can't break apart objects with ‘shatter’ how do I go about cutting extruded FONT ‘manually’ into solid chunks that I can smash apart?
Regards,

Ben :)
731 posts
Here is an example using a manual method, the shatter tool and kfracture (which I got off the exchange… nice!!). I have built a very very simple DA to cut up the bottle.

Note that shatter does a bogus job of calculating the groups, (which I'm going to report as a bug). You should delete the groups it makes and re-make them, (as I have shown). Problem is that it invariably includes an infinitely thin edge as a separate group, which causes RBD sims to grind to a halt and be very funky. Note in my example that shatter made 36 prim groups, but when I remade them, there were only 35.

Sean

Attachments:
crackIt.tar.gz (86.0 KB)

Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
32 posts
I'm getting an error when I open the .hip file (see attached)

:cry:

Attachments:
error.jpg (39.9 KB)

Regards,

731 posts
Probably benign… are you using the latest version of 9.5?

Sean
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
32 posts
It's v9.5 bulid 170
Regards,

12500 posts
benandaim
I'm getting an error when I open the .hip file (see attached)

:cry:

You can upgrade to .230.

These messages are probably harmless - the “Timeless” parameter was only added in 9.5.217, but it's probably set off anyway. (Which is the same as before it ever existed).
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
  • Quick Links