UV, Export, and IRC Questions

6413   4   0
12 posts
Hi, I went through the seagull tutorials. If there are any other UV tutorials I may have missed please let me know, the 3dBuzz ones won't work on my computer though. I feel it's necessary to put this little blurb in because people will usually refer me to the tutorials.

Anyway, down to the questions:
1. Is there a way to export the UV image so I can load it into GIMP and make my texture in there? I like to use the UV map as a layer when making textures, so I don't have to edit the UV shape around the texture later on. I thought about just doing a printscreen and loading that up, but that's a very crude way of doing it. I used to use UVmapper and I could export a .bmp of the UV map. That is what I am looking for.

2. I noticed that I can only export in the .DTS format. Is there a way to export in another format like .lwo .obj or .3ds? Would I have to find a 3rd party exporter or are they supported on the site somewhere? Is the Apprentice version of Houdini unable to natively export these formats because it's a cheaper version?

3. I'm looking for an IRC server where Houdini users hang out. I've tried irc.3dbuzz.com but there are rarely Houdini users there. It doesn't have to be an official server, just a place where I could ask questions and talk with other users.
7740 posts
1. Right-click on the SOP node that contains your uv coordinates, choose Save Texture UV to Image…. Just give a filename with the extension that you want to save to. Popular image formats are .tiff, .png, etc.

2. You can save to any number of geometry formats when you right-click on the SOP and choose Save Geometry… Saving it as a .obj is the best choice for polygon geometry in terms of interoperability. .ply files are also supported.

3. Try #odforce on irc.freenode.net
12 posts
Thank you! 3 for 3 no less!!
10 posts
sorry bout that, thanks.
Edited by - March 30, 2009 14:21:07

Attachments:
saveuvtexture.hipnc (140.4 KB)

7740 posts
Please don't cross post in different topics. AFAICT, it works fine here on 9.5.283 on Windows Vista 32-bit.
  • Quick Links