Point Scatter on Font?

5325   6   0
861 posts
I'm polyextruding a Font SOP and append a Scatter SOP. It scatters points outside the Font surface. Is that normal behaviour?

Attachments:
letterscatter.jpg (52.9 KB)

--
Jobless
401 posts
Use a measureSOP to measure the primitive area and scatter based on this attribute. This should help for a more even distribution.
I guess this might change this behaviour.

Or now that I tok a second look at the image:
Use a DivideSOP and bricker the geometry.
this is not a science fair.
861 posts
Thanks. I found out that I can also use isosurface with fog and then scatter.

I wonder why it does that though. Almost looks like there was an alpha-map on it. Maybe vertices are connected with edges but don't create polys. Doesn't look right. :?
--
Jobless
7733 posts
PolyExtruding and then Scatter works fine for me. Did you turn OFF the Output Front parameter on the PolyExtrude SOP?
401 posts
I was using the ExtrudeSOP … PolyExtrudeSOP might be a smarter way.
this is not a science fair.
861 posts
edward
PolyExtruding and then Scatter works fine for me. Did you turn OFF the Output Front parameter on the PolyExtrude SOP?

Thanks. That was the problem. I was thrown off the scent by the fact that a ScatterSOP appended to a FontSOP alone creates the problem as well (therefore assuming polyextrude wasn't responsible).

However, that doesn't give me points scattered on the front or back faces

Nevermind, I don't need it for what I'm doing, but it's weird how it behaves.
--
Jobless
1908 posts
The problem is that the Scatter Sop likes nice, convex geometry to scatter on; the Font Sop doesn't give it that, thus the weird distribution. As mentioned above, the Divide Sop can be used before the Scatter to correct this as long as the Convex Polygon toggle remains on. This will result in a nice scattering of points on the surface of the text.

There is an RFE for the Font Sop to have an option for it to automatically always output convex geometry.

Hope that helps.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
  • Quick Links