An antivirus that doesn't mess with Houdini.

8412   15   3
6 posts
I'm sure everyone knows about the problem, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a windows antivirus that doesn't mess with Houdini.
James Beylik
4140 posts
I'm not aware of one that does. Define ‘mess with’.

J.C.
John Coldrick
696 posts
Yeah, I haven't heard of any problems with anti-virus and Houdini.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
4257 posts
Anti-virus some new hip slang for clients?
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
460 posts
I totally forgot about that, linux made my life way easier in a lot of ways.

although our 2D animation dept. still uses XP, we found a very nice solution, AVG, works great and keeps the viruses out, is not free but is actually useful

good luck

and yes it leaves houdini do its tricks
varomix - Founder | Educator @ Mix Training
Technical Artist @ Meta Reality Labs
1192 posts
I used Kaspersky, now I use ESET Nod32. I haven't got problems with any of those regarding Houdini, on XP32 and Vista 64.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
57 posts
I use Avast! here, no issues.
6 posts
Thanks guys.

Antivirus refers to software that protects your computer from viruses, trojans and soforth. I'm surprised that you use Houdini and have never heard of that. It's old hip slang, and yes I'm quite hip.

Anyway, Norten and Panda seems to make Houdini render white shapes and applying shaders is impossible.

So I'll try Avast and some of the others. Thanks.
James Beylik
4140 posts
I think you'll find the comment was being sarcastic. If you read all of the other responses, you'll see quite readily that *no-one* is having troubles you're assuming to be universal. You can switch around products if you want, but the problem simply doesn't happen with those products. I suspect they need proper configuration.

J.C.
John Coldrick
4257 posts
JColdrick
I think you'll find the comment was being sarcastic.

With a touch of snarkiness too! :twisted:
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
156 posts
You might actually be having a permissions problem. We experienced a problem at the school I teach at, where basically the shaders had no parameters and all the objects were rendering white. Basically Houdini needs to be able to write and access the folders it installs to or else shit hits the fan. All I know is that when they unlocked the computers so non-admins had complete permissions the problem went away.

had nothing to do with the ant-client virus thingger you youngins are talking aboot.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
13 posts
splitpoint
I use Avast! here, no issues.
Im now having issues with Avast
Been using them for years too.

Edit: it works but it loads 20x slower
Edited by svenvfx - June 20, 2021 21:45:20
253 posts
There is really no need for AV. Windows defender is fine if you dont run every random exe you receive in the mail.
More code, less clicks.
696 posts
Resuscitating a post from 2009! Nice!

I use Avast and haven't noticed any issues. But you could always add an exception so that it doesn't scan your Side Effects folder...
Edited by Allegro - June 21, 2021 14:14:10

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (25.8 KB)

Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
320 posts
oh brother, I didn't see this thread was from 2009. anyhoo I use Malwarebytes and Bitdefender. when I install a new version and run it the first time I get a popup from Malwarebytes asking if I want to give Houdini permission to access internet. I do not have any slowdowns
28 posts
I've moved over to Kaspersky Security Cloud (free).

It's extremely lightweight, I can scan in the background and not even notice anything happening on my machine, which was not the case with Bitdefender (free) and many others I had tried previously. I ended on Kaspersky Security Cloud after doing research for the most lightweight AV.

Seems to work really well so far.
  • Quick Links