Render region question

7765   9   1
95 posts
Hi guys I have a question about the render region tool. So when i draw a render region it seems to render a small amount and just stops. I was expecting something like the render region in softimage. Thanks in advance
95 posts
Hey guys well now it seems not to be working at all. I have a simple scene with a camera and light plus a sphere. I also have a mantra node, when i draw a render region i get this message from the console. And if i draw another render region houdini crashes on me.

IMG_TileWrite::socketWrite: No such file or directory
mantra: Error writing data to image device
1390 posts
Dageris
Hey guys well now it seems not to be working at all. I have a simple scene with a camera and light plus a sphere. I also have a mantra node, when i draw a render region i get this message from the console. And if i draw another render region houdini crashes on me.

IMG_TileWrite::socketWrite: No such file or directory
mantra: Error writing data to image device

I'm assuming you are on Windows, right? I'm not sure what is causing it but render region is highly unstable on Windows, it works, it doesn't, or it crashes your machine - perhaps it depends on video hardware/driver issues. As I've never had any problem with that on Linux (except rather slow feedback), I try to live without it on Windows (though my brand new machine on Vista and quadro 3600M doesn't make me any troubles here). Well, I'm afraid it doesn't help you too much ops:

cheers,
skk.
95 posts
Thanks for the reply Telling me it is unstable on windows is helpful. Yes i am on windows vista 64bit. So it if it is highly unstable on windows, assuming its not my hardware which it could be, then why include the feature

Heres my specs

Amd phenom 9850 quad core 2.5ghz
4gigs of ddr2 ram at 1066
500gig hard drvie
512mb ati HD3870
ati catalyst 9.5 drivers
696 posts
well, I believe they include the feature cause it works for most people and in a case like yours the right thing to do is fill up a bug report and wait until they have it fixed in a future version. I've done this in the past and saw them fixing things within one or two releases. Unfortunately I don't think anybody can account for the diversity of hardware combinations out there, right?! Could be anything.

all the best
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
95 posts
Thanks for the reply Yeah i agree its to much perhaps impossible to account for all the different hardware combinations. I can live without it, i was just used to using softimages render region all the time.
1390 posts
Dageris
Thanks for the reply Yeah i agree its to much perhaps impossible to account for all the different hardware combinations. I can live without it, i was just used to using softimages render region all the time.

ATI is not your friend on a Houdini's trip…
95 posts
Yeah i have a feeling it is my card, Its been great for games. But if i had the money id upgrade to nvidia for my 3d stuff. Any suggestions on a good relatively cheap card?
1631 posts
Hi,

You should check out this thread [sidefx.com] to see if it helps.

Also, you should try updating to the latest build to see if it helps.

Cheers!
steven
95 posts
Thanks for the link i will check it out. I just installed with the latest build but it still doesnt work, either renders a small amount, or doesnt render at all.
  • Quick Links