Importing

4688   5   1
8 posts
OK How hard can this be????

I have a .obj (and a .fbx of the same data), HOW do I import it into Houdini? I can see the object in the scene palette at the bottom right. But no matter WHAT I've tried it doesn't show in the Scene View. WHY????? An hour wasted on a simple process. I have searched thru help and found virtually NOTHING on . obj importing. So I switched over to exporting in DXF, FBX and get the same results, HOW do I do this?

TIA

Joe B
711 posts
Try hitting space+h to home the scene contents in the viewport. It's possible that your geometry got imported “waaaay over there”.
349 posts
DaJuice
It's possible that your geometry got imported “waaaay over there”.

This is a very common thing for Houdini. No idea why though…
1145 posts
When you save the geometry out from whatever package you created it in, if the object is way off from world center, that's where it will be imported to. That has nothing to do with houdini.

If you MMB on the File sop you will see the Center coordinate values, which will tell you where the geometry has shown up. Put a Transform sop below the file sop and undo the imported transforms. Then save that geometry out.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
8 posts
Thanks for the responses all but still not there.
The obj file was created in modo and exported as geometry only. In modo the object sits dead center 0,0,0. After I import I have the little grey box with the colored circles and arrows around it. I've tried both zooming in and out (space+scroll wheel) and nothing. Since 90% of what I want to work with was created in modo if I can't get this to work I'm kind of back out on the search for something that will import .OBJ and export to DTS format.
MAJOR bummer………………

joeb
1390 posts
joeb3651
After I import I have the little grey box with the colored circles and arrows around it.

It looks like you haven't imported anything. Gray box is a default Houdini geometry which appears while you're adding Geometry Node at object level. Look inside, and check the path on FileSOP. It should point to your *.obj file. Does it? If not, point it correctly, if yes, and you still don't see your geometry, try to open that file with gplay: go to command line tool from Sidefx menu (on Windows), and type: “gplay path/to/my/file.obj”. If you won't see your object, there is something wrong with the file.

It would be definitely helpful if you go through basic tutorials from this website, before trying to work in Houdini.
  • Quick Links