easy way to animating many points positions?

14441   16   1
217 posts
Hi there,

Well, is there any way to easy keying points positions?
let say points of a Grid 10x10

Using a lot of transform nodes for a bunch of points seems to cause some
workflow problems, and last but not least it is very time consuming.

I have also tried to key the point position Parameters in the spreadsheet, but that seems not to work.

Thanks!
Staff
2540 posts
CHOPs is the way to go if you really need translate channels per point.

Put down a local CHOP Network inside SOPs.
Dive in
Create a Geometry CHOP and set it to animated. That way you get animated channels for the geoemtry points.
Point it at the SOP you want to bake and animate
append a Fit CHOP and edit the key points in the Motion View (CHOP channel editor). That's one way. You can also lock the chop and RMB on it and choose edit keyframes and you get the familiar Channel Editor.
Jump back up to SOPs.
Add a Channel SOP.
Point it at the CHOP you want to fetch.

Hope this helps.
There's at least one school like the old school!
665 posts
Hi Mickey,

This is something that can def be a bit of a hassle!

The chops way is pretty robust. I have also had a lot of luck doing my animations at the OBJ level. It's a bit of over head, as you need to make a bit of a rig for this. But once set up, is the most flexible method in Houdini.

Good luck!

cheers,
-j
217 posts
Thanks for your advice, but can't fallow up after setting up the Geometry SOP in the CHOPs Network.

Can't find the mentioned Fit CHOP?!

Thanks
Staff
2540 posts
Sorry 'bout that. Spline CHOP.

I would do the second approach though where you can add a Null CHOP, lock it off then RMB on that node and choose to edit the channels in the channel editor.
1145 posts
This suggestion won't help if you want specific keying, but you could animate with an animated image and a vopsop displacement.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
Staff
2540 posts
What do you mean by “specific keying”? I believe once you lock a CHOP and edit the channels, you can set and modify keys in the regular Channel Editor.

There is an existing RFE to have a Point Keyframe SOP to allow the user to grab various different points in the geometry viewer and set key frames on them. Then manage those key frames in a channel editor. This is a common operation in Maya that has been requested a few times over the years.

The image based approach works great when you want an image to drive point positions. Not when you just want to grab and key, grab and key then tweak.
217 posts
I fallowed the second approache.

But I am still not able to animate the points.
I tried do both, editing and keying the points in the Graph view of the Channel Editor as well as in the Table view?!

(It was possible to adding Keys to the Graph but not in the Table view, but both seem not to cause changes on the Grid in the Scene View)

enclosed is the hip file! maybe you could take a look.

Thanks

Attachments:
point_animation_test.hip (45.7 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
Change the Channel SOP to Animated to match the Geometry CHOP. You also locked the null1 CHOP while the geometry was set to Static and only has three channels tx ty and tz in it. You should have three translate channels for each point.

I unlocked the null1 then RMB on it and chose the option “Edit Data Channels…”.
217 posts
Thanks Jeff it works some how,

BUT - am I wrong, or does it not be the best way to go! I mean it works theoreticly, but folling worklflow problems occure with this solution:

- I cant clearly figur out which points am animating (not in the curve view, not in table view. Because I can't find anywhere corresponding numbers to the point numbers)

- It seems also not to work to get a direkt update between the editing of values in the Curve (or Table) and a visual feedback in the scene view. (even with locking the the obj level).

- Nevertheless, I am not able to easly grab points and work with those in the scene view.

Do i miss something? is there something i forgot?!

sorry for a this nerving stuff!
7722 posts
jeff
There is an existing RFE to have a Point Keyframe SOP to allow the user to grab various different points in the geometry viewer and set key frames on them.

It's probably very easy to create a Python SOP to it these days. Just create a multiparm that has two parms per instance: point number and position.
665 posts
Hi Guys,

Here's another approach using an OBJ Rig.

It'd be great if this was something pre-scripted!

cheers,
-j

Attachments:
point_animation_test_533.hip (240.8 KB)

217 posts
That seems to work nice Jacob!

Your right would be nice to integrate something like that!
The real advantage is that it allows to grab the points in the Scene view.
217 posts
I am not able see how it works?!
There seems not to be a lot of node action going on.
And I can't find any expressions?
665 posts
Hi Mickey,

The meat of the work is done in the Grid Obj.

First the Grid is created, and then the RIG is merged in.

Inside of the rig, there is a sphere for everypoint. Most importantly, these Spheres have the same number as each point. Using the Point SOP, the expression ‘$TX2, $TY2, $TZ2’ means that the points will look to the postition from the 2nd input.

It's a bit different, but the point SOP allows each Point to see the Postition of the Spheres, and move to those positions. If you want to get CRAZY, try reordering the numbers of the Spheres, and see things jump around!

cheers,
-j
217 posts
Thanks Jacob! that works fine!

cheers,
2 posts
Interesting rig, thanks for sharing. I'm new to Houdini. Do you know how I can go about achieving morphing lettering using this rig? Can I animate geo for each letter...and then how do I export the letters and import them to allign within sentences, and then trigger the animation from left to right, as shown in the vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bgZGZXJQ5M&ab_channel=WOODKID [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links