Creating a Simple Screw

46877   22   2
114 posts
Hi all i was wondering if anyone had a good way to model a screw as im beat.

This is what i have done so far:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/1davidlyon/Screw.jpg [i23.photobucket.com]

I have used a curve and snapped the points to the grid then used a revolve to get a 360 model.

I am wondering if there is a HELIX shape or option in houdini like 3ds max has ? If someone knows how to create a simple spring that would do.

This is the kinda method i used in 3ds max:
http://www.freeitsolutions.com/3ds/viewTutorial.aspx?id=3380 [freeitsolutions.com]
Staff
2590 posts
Lyonz
I am wondering if there is a HELIX shape or option in houdini like 3ds max has ? If someone knows how to create a simple spring that would do.

Try this. It's very simple though.

Attachments:
helix.hip (43.6 KB)

114 posts
Thats perfect wondering how you done this ? what the expressions mean in the divisions, arc angles and position parameters, to get this to work.
7710 posts
Try searching on odforce.net … I vaguely recall someone putting up an example.
114 posts
edward
Try searching on odforce.net … I vaguely recall someone putting up an example.

Ive had a look on odforce and couldnt find an example would someone be able to break down how the file above was created ? as i get errors when reconstructing it …

The error i get is bad parameter reference “../turns” in parameter /object / circle_object2/circle1/divs

The error i get is bad parameter reference “../quality” in parameter /object / circle_object2/circle1/divs
349 posts
You can add a lineSOP, then add a pointSOP. Inside the pointSOP's position parameters type this in the x field…

sin($PT * 30) * 0.5

and this in the z field

cos($PT * 30) * 0.5

This will give you a helix. Then continue modeling. Or drop down a vopsop and look at the trigonometricVOP.
349 posts
Here have a look. This is a quick mockup, so its not polished in any way.

Attachments:
screw_02.hipnc (91.8 KB)

114 posts
Yea just started looking at expressions and in the Help file it talks about creating a spiral using SIN & COS. This is all i need thanks
665 posts
Hi Guys,

Another great trick…

Try using the twist SOP on a highly subdivided box.

Maybe not the most elegant, but damn, if it doesn't look like a screw to me!

cheers,
-j
114 posts
jacob clark
Hi Guys,

Another great trick…

Try using the twist SOP on a highly subdivided box.

Maybe not the most elegant, but damn, if it doesn't look like a screw to me!

cheers,
-j

Yea i tried this at first and gets you a great result if your after a ground drill like this.

http://www.tradevv.com/TradevvImage/productimages/Ground-drill-A5ba18.jpg [tradevv.com]
Staff
2540 posts
ok here's my attempt at a screw. Lag bolt more like it. I like the profile approach as opposed to the old school make-a-corkscrew-then-pound-the-crap-out-of-it way.

Hopefully the cookie (boolean) operations hold up…

I am sure that there are procedural ways to better fuse up the shaft to the thread and better work on the tip. It's just lining up your ducks.

As well I eyeballed the copy SOP to align the sweep of the profiles but I am sure you can get simple math in there to do real thread pitch standards.

Attachments:
screw_jw.hip (83.7 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
678 posts
This is what I came up. It's not ready yet, many parameters are missing or need to be rewired but it's a good start. Not faraway from full working procedural.

Below you can find HIP file and OTL for DOWNLOAD:
http://www.4shared.com/file/149824982/e2bb698b/screw.html [4shared.com]
http://www.4shared.com/file/149826584/a8cbfd51/Screw_OTL.html [4shared.com]
Staff
2540 posts
Looking good.

When you are satisfied upload it to the exchange.
There's at least one school like the old school!
12 posts
You can download the “Bolt asset” from houdini exchange.

Its basically just a boolean between a polywired helix and a tube.
114 posts
This is my first go at making a screw, i have tried a few ways but seem to get errors when rendering does anyone know what is causing the problem ?

Thanks

Attachments:
screw_problem_109.hip (2.6 MB)

678 posts
Look closely how your polysplit2 and polysplit3 are layed. You created broken geometry and from those nodes down all geo is more and more broken each time you add something. Fix this and all errors in network belowand you should see improvment.

Edited by - Jan. 23, 2010 17:40:04
114 posts
Even when it is a simple tube at fuse 1 near the top i get errors like the edges are facing the wrong way ?

When i try to polyextrude a simple line i get problems.
678 posts
1. Use Global extrude Y value not Local, so you don't have to compensate movement on other axis like you done in your geo.

2. Turn off output front on OptionsTAB of polyextrude1. When you extrude line it leaves it as a front face

114 posts
Thanks that fixed it.
483 posts
I know the question was: How to model a screw :-)
But hopefully this is helpy, too. If it's not necessary to have the real geometry, maybe a simple displacement shader can do the work.
This solution gives more flexibility and can bring a cleaner look without having “big” models. If you get “artefacts” in the rendering, make sure “Predicng” is set in the SOPs render settings.

Attachments:
screwshader_04_b.jpg (293.3 KB)
screwshader_04_a.jpg (436.4 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
  • Quick Links