-1.#IND and 1.#INF

3008   4   0
861 posts
I keep having the odd particle with speeds of

-1.#IND

and

1.#INF

that keep nodes from cooking properly. How do I deal with these freaks? I tried an if() expression but to no use.
--
Jobless
7724 posts
It looks like you'tr dividing by 0 somewhere. You should try to find the source of the problem and correct it.
861 posts
I thought so too but it comes right from a standard attribute as far as I can work out and I'm a bit puzzled by the “1.” which made me wonder if it is only the decimal expansion that's infinite, which would be kind of strange.

I thought there might be an expression that handles exceptions and errors, but yep I better keep searching for things that attempt strange divisions.
--
Jobless
Staff
2592 posts
Soothsayer
I thought so too but it comes right from a standard attribute as far as I can work out and I'm a bit puzzled by the “1.” which made me wonder if it is only the decimal expansion that's infinite, which would be kind of strange.

I thought there might be an expression that handles exceptions and errors, but yep I better keep searching for things that attempt strange divisions.
You may also get these numbers if you are doing things like taking the square root of a negative number, creating a number which is too large to represent (i.e. exp(1000)), or doing other bad math things (i.e. pow(-3.5, 1.7))

Look at how your attributes are being created. Try disabling certain POPs/SOPs to try to find the culprit.
861 posts
Thanks Mark, I think that's the problem. I used a few powers to shape forces. I assumed they were smooth and continous but there must be some particles that bring along unexpected values.
--
Jobless
  • Quick Links