how to import and visualize Excel data?

9742   9   2
479 posts
suppose I have an excel file containing data of the x,y,z coordinates and a specific attribute value obtained from some other simulation software for a large number of points (densely distributed along a surface), how to “import” the data from this excel file, create points according to the coordinates information and visualize these points by representing their respective attribute as color?

Thanks!
7768 posts
I think you will need to save it as a tab delimited text file from Excel and then load it via a File CHOP as a .chan file.
8637 posts
or you can use python SOP and some xls parser module for python
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
479 posts
Thanks, tamti and edward!

Edward, can you tell me how to import a data file in CSV format via a file CHOP as .chan file?

Thank you!
479 posts
Just realized that this post is still hanging…

Can anybody kindly help to explain this approach via a simple demo?

Thanks!
7768 posts
Sorry, looks like I missed this thread. But it's simple. In Excel, choose File > Save As. In the save dialog under “Save as type”, look for “Text (Tab delimited)”.

Houdini doesn't support CSV files, so if you must deal in CSV files, Tomas suggestion is probably be best way. Parsing CSV files in Python yourself is probably pretty easy.
479 posts
thanks, edward, I'm more interested in how to “load it via a File CHOP as a .chan file”

So, can you kindly shed a light on this?

Thanks!
299 posts
oat
thanks, edward, I'm more interested in how to “load it via a File CHOP as a .chan file”

So, can you kindly shed a light on this?

Thanks!

You have to somehow convert your data in to a tab separated data. I don't think anyone is to interested in helping you with that as it is kinda boring.

But when it is done you can load it as a chan file.
Drive, monkey, drive!
330 posts
hi ,

there is already the ' Table Import ' ( python ) SOP node which might do what you need .

it imports a *.csv file and maps its columns to any attribute you want .. an existing or new one .

and you can feed chops from there easily , after that .

.cheers
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
7768 posts
oat

From Excel, say you saved your file as “Text (Tab Delimited)” as something like MyData.chan. Now put down a File CHOP and put as its filename, “MyData.chan” (with the correct path).
  • Quick Links