HQueue questions

3323   3   1
86 posts
hi all..

Just curious.. if i have custom HDK nodes referenced by my render or fluid simulation is it possible to use HQueue?

Assuming it is, suppose those custom nodes make use of CUDA or OpenCL?

thanks!
I installed a skylight in my apartment… the people who live above me are furious!
- Steven Wright
86 posts
I answer my own question .

On pg. 6 of the HQueue Cloud guide:

By default, it is not possible to create a custom Houdini setup using your own HDK plugins and a specific Houdini version. If you are an Annual Upgrade Plan customers and you are interested in running your own instance using a custom Houdini setup, then please contact your account manager or email us at support@sidefx.com to discuss what is possible .

So it seems that it's possible.. just a bit more work.
I installed a skylight in my apartment… the people who live above me are furious!
- Steven Wright
Staff
2593 posts
david_aiken
I answer my own question .

On pg. 6 of the HQueue Cloud guide:

By default, it is not possible to create a custom Houdini setup using your own HDK plugins and a specific Houdini version. If you are an Annual Upgrade Plan customers and you are interested in running your own instance using a custom Houdini setup, then please contact your account manager or email us at support@sidefx.com to discuss what is possible .

So it seems that it's possible.. just a bit more work.

It's probably possible to use hqueue on a local farm without much setup. Using cloud might be much trickier – I don't know if any EC2 machines have CUDA or OpenCL support.
86 posts
There's a bit more info in the HQueue cloud guide FAQ section pg. 14. Only two Amazon Machine Images (AMIs) are supported (32- and 64-bit) and neither supports a GPU. You cannot create your own custom AMI without working with Sidefx/Amazon to resolve the licensing and hardware/software setup. I don't believe that any of the Amazon AMIs currently support a GPU, though other cloud providers, like Media Temple, do.

Haven't tried this, but if you have custom HDK nodes you may be able to cache the results out (i.e. they are part of the geometry processing) and send the files as part of the render pre-flight.

I think you're right.. for a local HQueue setup HDK nodes using GPU are probably ok. As i understand it, fluid sims are only supported on a local farm out-of-the-box (pg.3 of the guide).
- Steven Wright
  • Quick Links