Makefile compilation error with 2 or more files

7922   10   1
10 posts
Hello,

I'm learning to develop a Houdini plugin with C++. I haven't got any problems to compile with hcustom or with a makefile for one cpp file. But, when I try to compile 2 or more cpp files, I have an error of multiple definition on houdini library.

The unique solution I've find for the moment to compile several C++ file is… include cpp file in the main file and just compile this one :?

This is my makefile:

# Installation directory.
INSTDIR = $(HOME)/houdini11.0

# List of C++ source files to build.
SOURCES = \
./src/ParticleEmiter.C \
./src/ParticuleGeometry.C

# Use the highest optimization level.
OPTIMIZER = -g

# Set the plugin library name.
DSONAME = SIM_ParticleEmiter.so

# Include the GNU Makefile.
include $(HFS)/toolkit/makefiles/Makefile.gnu

all: SIM_ParticleEmiter.so

When I compile with this file, I've this error:

g++ -shared ./src/ParticleEmiter.o ./src/ParticleGeometry.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lGLU -lGL -lX11 -lXext -lXi -ldl -lpthread -oSIM_ParticleEmiter.so
./src/ParticleGeometry.o: In function `new_allocator':
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/../../../../include/c++/4.1.2/new:94: multiple definition of `HoudiniDSOVersion'
./src/ParticleEmiter.oopt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/UT/UT_DSOVersion.h:64: first defined here
./src/ParticleGeometry.o: In function `HoudiniCompilerVersion':
/opt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/UT/UT_DSOVersion.h:80: multiple definition of `HoudiniCompilerVersion'
./src/ParticleEmiter.oopt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/UT/UT_DSOVersion.h:80: first defined here
./src/ParticleGeometry.o: In function `bool GVEXimportData<UT_Matrix4T<float> >(GB_GenericData const&, UT_Matrix4T<float>&)':
/opt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:275: multiple definition of `bool GVEXimportData<UT_Matrix4T<float> >(GB_GenericData const&, UT_Matrix4T<float>&)'
./src/ParticleEmiter.oopt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:275: first defined here
./src/ParticleGeometry.o: In function `bool GVEXimportData<UT_Matrix3T<float> >(GB_GenericData const&, UT_Matrix3T<float>&)':
/opt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:274: multiple definition of `bool GVEXimportData<UT_Matrix3T<float> >(GB_GenericData const&, UT_Matrix3T<float>&)'
./src/ParticleEmiter.oopt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:274: first defined here
./src/ParticleGeometry.o: In function `bool GVEXimportData<UT_Vector4T<float> >(GB_GenericData const&, UT_Vector4T<float>&)':
/opt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:273: multiple definition of `bool GVEXimportData<UT_Vector4T<float> >(GB_GenericData const&, UT_Vector4T<float>&)'
./src/ParticleEmiter.oopt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:273: first defined here
./src/ParticleGeometry.o: In function `bool GVEXimportData<UT_Vector3T<float> >(GB_GenericData const&, UT_Vector3T<float>&)':
/opt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:272: multiple definition of `bool GVEXimportData<UT_Vector3T<float> >(GB_GenericData const&, UT_Vector3T<float>&)'
./src/ParticleEmiter.oopt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:272: first defined here
./src/ParticleGeometry.o: In function `bool GVEXimportData<UT_Vector2T<float> >(GB_GenericData const&, UT_Vector2T<float>&)':
/opt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:271: multiple definition of `bool GVEXimportData<UT_Vector2T<float> >(GB_GenericData const&, UT_Vector2T<float>&)'
./src/ParticleEmiter.oopt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:271: first defined here
./src/ParticleGeometry.o: In function `bool GVEXimportData<double>(GB_GenericData const&, double&)':
/opt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:270: multiple definition of `bool GVEXimportData<double>(GB_GenericData const&, double&)'
./src/ParticleEmiter.oopt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:270: first defined here
./src/ParticleGeometry.o: In function `bool GVEXimportData<float>(GB_GenericData const&, float&)':
/opt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:269: multiple definition of `bool GVEXimportData<float>(GB_GenericData const&, float&)'
./src/ParticleEmiter.oopt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:269: first defined here
./src/ParticleGeometry.o: In function `bool GVEXimportData<int>(GB_GenericData const&, int&)':
/opt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:268: multiple definition of `bool GVEXimportData<int>(GB_GenericData const&, int&)'
./src/ParticleEmiter.oopt/hfs11.0.446.9/toolkit/include/GB/GB_GenericData.h:268: first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** Error 1

My configuration is GNU/Linux Cent OS x64 and I compile with gcc.x86_64 version 4.1.2-48.el5 (i can't update this)

Thank.
7725 posts
Try the “Compiling with Makefiles” section here
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk11.0/hdk_intro_compiling.html [sidefx.com]
10 posts
I try, my makefile is inspire of exemple of this page.

After research I think (I'm not sure) my error is cause by my gcc compilator. The version 4.1 don't manage “static inline” instruction. I must use the version 4.4 or more but these version don't in Cent OS' repositories.
10 posts
I have install gcc44-c++, the compilation work but when I want to execute the plugin with houdini:

Compiler incompatibility detected. gcc compiler versions below 4.3 are not compatible with gcc compiler versions 4.3 or above.

…..
7725 posts
Did you install the gcc 4.4 version of Houdini?
10 posts
Apparently, no. I've just understand version of gcc depend of houdini version.

For CentOS 5, just gcc 4.1 version houdini is possible.

I test with Ubuntu 10.04 to use gcc4.4 for Houdini but on VMware, the software don't start, I have a fatal error:

Fatal error: Segmentation Fault

I don't know if it's an error to vmware, I'll try on an Ubuntu's partition.
19 posts
make sure you include
#include <UT/UT_DSOVersion.h>
#include <OP/OP_Operator.h>
#include <OP/OP_OperatorTable.h>

only onces in the project. anywhere else will give you a error.
best solution is to have a main file where you define it.

something like.

#include <UT/UT_DSOVersion.h>
#include <OP/OP_Operator.h>
#include <OP/OP_OperatorTable.h>

#include “SOP_CollapseSetup.h”
#include “SOP_CollapseSim.h”
#include “SOP_CollapseTransform.h”

void newSopOperator(OP_OperatorTable *table) {

table->addOperator(new OP_CollapseSetupOperator());
table->addOperator(new OP_CollapseSimOperator());
table->addOperator(new OP_CollapseTransformOperator());

}

means you will need to remove the newSopOperator functions from your files but thats how i got it to work on linux and OSX.
519 posts
or use #if !define statements for each of the header files you load.
10 posts
@larsvdb

We have a similar solution for the moment.

@Pagefan

Headers have #ifndef, #define ;-)

Thank for yours answers
25 posts
Hi,

You should define NEED_SPECIALIZATION_STORAGE when compiling with gcc4.1 for Houdini 11. That fixed the issue for me.

See http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk11.0/_g_b___generic_data_8h_source.html [sidefx.com] (line 256)
Frederic Servant / Solid Angle / London
www.solidangle.com
10 posts
Hello kikou,

I try and your solution is good for me. Thank you!
  • Quick Links