Car rendering problems

3429   3   0
114 posts
Hi all,

Thought i would have ago at rendering a car in the dark, since there doesnt seem to be many renders on this.

Im trying to render the lights on the car but having a few problems. The link below is what im looking to achieve. I have no problem doing this in 3ds max, but not sure whats going wrong in houdini.

http://www.dmmultimedia.com/3dtips_04c.htm [dmmultimedia.com]

Im using the PBR renderer with a standard spot light placed inside the cars headlight but it seems as if it doesnt go through the glass material. Also when i apply a glow shader on the lightbulb it is really faint even with extremely high values for the emission setting.

The second problem is that im trying to create a neon glow using the geometry light (standard plane) but comes out in dots ?

7025 posts
In the ROP under the PBR tab set Allowable Paths to “all” and that might help…
192 posts
Hi Lyonz, this is an often-encountered challenge. I feel like your best bet is to make the light filaments geometry lights with physical falloff and geometry visibility turned on. This way you'll get proper lighting, as well as good reflections and refractions of the filament. Then I would mask your shadows from the filament to not affect the glass. This is less accurate than it could be, as the lighting from a headlight is actually a refractive caustic, but I think this would be to slow to simulate in most cases. For “glow” I think the best bet is a non-selfshadowing volume with very low density.

Here's a ipr snapshot of this…

Attachments:
glow.jpg (125.0 KB)

114 posts
Hi thanks for replys, i have got the pbr setting set to all paths. . . .

I do understand it would be highly intense to use caustics wondering if there is a volume light option to doing this ?

I was also thinking this might be best done in a compositing software like nuke ?

Lyonz
  • Quick Links