Automatic spherical array

6836   1   1
436 posts
Hi

I am wondering what is the best way to go about creating a spherical of models. I modeled a vase with a funky end, now I need to create a spherical array of vase instances. I was trying to find an Array SOP, or ArrayOnSurface SOP. But there is nothing like that How is this done. Is this done through particle system? The thing is that the vases can't be placed uniformly but should have semi random distribution, and they cannot intersect each other. What I have been doing so far is using Mirror SOP to place instances of the original about origin point. But thats time consuming, as I have align Mirror direction of each one. Does anyone have a script or something, or another idea.
Thank you kindly

Dave Rindner
7740 posts
I'll try to point you in a direction. The copy SOP allows you to make copies of geometry in its left input and optionally place them at the points in its right input. As a simple first test, feed your vase into the left input a copy SOP and then feed in a polygonal sphere into the right input of the copy SOP.

The next step can be done in several ways as to how to get a semi-random distribution of points on a sphere.
  • Quick Links