can you rotate fluid containers?

20176   17   6
17 posts
there is only size and center parameters on in?
Staff
2540 posts
In Houdini11 you can insert any of the following DOPs after the initial Fluid Configure Object (smoke, liquid, etc) to re-orient a fluid field container:

Motion DOP
Obj Position DOP
Point Position DOP
Position DOP

These DOPs will drive the position and rotation of a fluid container(s) that it is specified in the DOP Group mask (defaults to * or all DOP simulation objects that are wired in to it).

There is a new tool in H11 called Parent Fluid that sets up a relationship between an animated object and a fluid container. This particular shelf tool adds an Obj Position DOP to constrain the fluid container position and orientation to a specified object. It also sets up rest position data and transformation data via specialized DOP micro-solvers to modify the vel fields such that the fluid gets the object transform on top of the fluid simulation.

—-

Note that Scales are not supported directly in the Transform data as a general rule in DOPs. For voxel fields, there are ways to resize containers utilizing the generalized Gas Resize Fluid DOP or the lower level Gas Resize Field DOP.
There's at least one school like the old school!
56 posts
Do you guys know how to resize a smoke or pyro container? There's a houdini tutorial, but it's for version 9, and I couldn't make it work for Houdini 11. I want to change the width of the container, but still maintain its height and length.

I tried to change the size attribute in the pyro or smoke node, but it wouldn't work.

EDIT: just figured it out. I need to be on frame 1 for resize to work.

Lacy, gently, wafting curtains.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3eBvZvUXk [youtube.com]
45 posts
I'm in H12 and I can't find a way to rotate or move a fluid object with one of those node you mentioned.

Could you help me please?
56 posts
menoz
I'm in H12 and I can't find a way to rotate or move a fluid object with one of those node you mentioned.

I haven't used H12, but I think it should be the same. IF you want to do any transformation to ‘em, make sure you’re on frame number 1.

45 posts
for shure i'm missing something.
Could you show me an example on how to use them please?

i have a smoke object
attach a position, change values, nothing happens.

i'm on frame 1. (frame 1 should be anyways the starting simulation frame right?)

even in H11 i can't get it to work..
56 posts
I'm at work right now and don't have access to Houdini. You might want to post your file and describe what you want to happen, so others may see.

45 posts
thanks.
Just put down a tube, rotate on X 45 degrees, add pyro sim from the shelf

I need to rotate the container so I can optimize the container size to make it fit better for my simulation.

thank you
56 posts
post your file, though.

45 posts
you're right

it's in H11 because now I can't access to 12 right now.

as you see I could use much less voxels just rotating the container to make it fit better.

how can I do?

thank you very much

Attachments:
fluidOrient_1.hip (278.9 KB)

4 posts
menoz
thanks.
Just put down a tube, rotate on X 45 degrees, add pyro sim from the shelf

I need to rotate the container so I can optimize the container size to make it fit better for my simulation.

thank you

Menoz,

I had this problem a few days ago on a shot. What I did was lay down a null on object level and hooked it into my camera and all geo from the shot. What you can do now is rotate from the null into the grid. This way I could optimize the size of my gird to give me a better result and detail. Make sure the null is at 0,0,0.

I have made the switch from 3ds Max and was use to using Fumefx which does allow for the grid to rotate. Its a feature I hope we can add for Houdini in the future. Just makes it easier to optimize your containers.
Jeremy West
FX artist
www.jeremymw.com
21 posts
After appending the Position DOP, be sure to go the Fluid Object DOP, in the Initial Data tab, and write ../Position after Position Data Path.

Cheers,
T
1 posts
Most of you guys must be facing problem while trying to rotate a fluid container in Houdini as it is not available by default in Houdini fluid.
But its possible .
Check this out :
www.vfxmill.in/how-to-rotate-fluid-container-in-houdini.html
8 posts
Thanks a bunch for the info above.
It helped out alot.
23 posts
In this tutorial we will go over how to set up optimized pyro clustering with oriented DOP containers in Houdini given a piece of geometry moving through a scene. This process will lower simulation time and be more efficient when saving to disk because there are fewer voxels.

Link to Tutorial -> https://gum.co/TqUNR [gum.co]

The tutorial is free though, if you feel like giving me some support I'd be grateful !!

We first go over how to get things set up quick and easy and in the second half of the tutorial we make further optimizations using VEX. We'll look at how to rewrite cluster points to do exactly what we need it to, which includes rewriting the resample sop using VEX.

An intermediate tutorial for those looking to speed up their pyro workflow and learn some VEX.

Includes the scene file!

Hope to see everyone leveraging these optimizations in the future and squeezing in those extra few iterations before deadline!

You can reach me at trzankofx@gmail.com for questions or comments.
Edited by trzanko - Aug. 19, 2017 18:07:30
Tighe Rzankowski

trzankofx@gmail.com
17 posts
Hi guys, I tried to rotate fluid container and got a strange result, the simulation just rotates, as if you make a transform node after the node cache file.

I want to optimize container size and don`t rotate all scene, can I do this job in Houdini?

Attachments:
2.png (685.6 KB)

310 posts
Without diving in to a hip, it looks like you are using Position as your Data name. I believe you need to use “../Position” without the quotes, to get the node to be applied.
9 posts
akvahouse
Hi guys, I tried to rotate fluid container and got a strange result, the simulation just rotates, as if you make a transform node after the node cache file.
I want to optimize container size and don`t rotate all scene, can I do this job in Houdini?

Just wanted to chime in, I'm having the same problem. Changing the position data will rotate both the container AND the incoming source volumes. Still trying to figure out how to separate the two. I made another thread about this over here: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/61429/?page=1#post-274051 [www.sidefx.com]

I saw a thread on ODForce (https://forums.odforce.net/topic/16845-rotating-pyro-grid/?tab=comments#comment-150934) where someone had fixed this by altering one of the SOP Solvers inside the volume sourcing node to fetch the transforms from the Position data, invert, and pre-apply them to the incoming volumes, but unfortunately this was using the pre-17 “Source Volume” node, and I can't figure out how to apply the same fix to the new “Volume Source” node. The new one doesn't seem to directly import the volumes at all, so I'm not quite sure how to apply a SOP solver to them. Maybe inside the pyro solver node? Or perhaps you could pull the orient form the position data into your SOP and pre-apply the inverted transforms there. Seems kind of silly, but whatever works I guess.
Edited by DrRoyce - March 2, 2019 18:05:39
  • Quick Links