ATI graphic cards

3931   4   1
13 posts
Hi,
In the past times I had problems using Houdini (v. 9, if I well remember) with ATI GC even with 1G memory. Mainly bad refreshing of panes and the like.
I wonder if such an issue is still present.
Anyone using Houdini with e.g. an ATI HD 5570?
I currently use a mere nvidia GT220, but I'm planning an upgrade.
4140 posts
For graphics work, I still find NVidia preferable to ATI. They seem to be incapable of ever rising about ‘barely tolerable’ drivers, and are usually significantly below that. NVidia has it's ups and downs, but once you find a sweet spot, it works. ATI hardware is pretty good, it's all about the drivers.

I'm assuming you're talking windows - linux…a no-brainer. The drivers are even worse on Linux…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
13 posts
Yep, I too love nvidia, but gt220 is sort of a drawback, though really cheap.
Sadly, I have no double slot free for a really better nvidia, like 96 series or gts250.
On the web I pick some good opinion about ati 5570, anyway… I'd better wait and stick to nvidia, I deem.
330 posts
Put the credit card down, and step away from the PC…

Honestly the ATI I had a few years ago was OK for Houdini, but I did regret not getting a poorer performing (spec-wise) nvidia for the same price. I did use Linux then though, mostly windows now.
107 posts
Excuse my french but:

I think investing in ATI hardware is a mistake. It has been always unrealisable and flaky. I have a MacBook Pro (A1151) and god knows what kind of crazy stuff I had to do, just to get OpenGL working with that ATI X1600 (on Linux). One may argue and say “Yeah, but that is an old model, and it is Linux blah blah”. Well I have seen enough crappy ATIs on every possible platform. Trust me. The only reason I am staying away from Dell is that they have those crappy ATIs as well (edit: and by that, I mean anything that has ATI in it, especially laptops like Studio 15). Such a shame!
Live life in chunks.
  • Quick Links