render multiple ROPs in different networks

6417   8   3
1799 posts
Hi, I have a scene that contains multiple ROPs, all located in different subnetworks. Before I try to create my own DA for handling all of these, I was wondering if there is a built in way in Houdini to see all the ROPs in one scene (regardless of their location) and render them all in an arbitrary sequence

Thanks!
-G
Staff
5161 posts
You can use a ROPnet with Fetch ROPs referencing each ROP, and merge them together with a merge ROP in the order that you want them run.
1799 posts
Is there a way with the fetch node (or another node) to load mass amounts of ROP nodes (perhaps with an expression?) The problem that I have here is that I have a large quantity of ROPs that I need to fetch.

I tried using an expression such as obj/*/renderNode_mantra, but it did not seem to work. Would a python script be the best way to approach this?

My goal is for the user to be able to render all rop nodes in a scene with one button click, regardless of which network they are located on. The amount of these nodes may change per scene

thank you for your help with this!
-G
183 posts
grayOlorin
My goal is for the user to be able to render all rop nodes in a scene with one button click, regardless of which network they are located on. The amount of these nodes may change per scene

thank you for your help with this!

Maybe a couple lines of python code would be better solution ?
Aleksei Rusev
Sr. Graphics Tools Engineer @ Nvidia
731 posts
An “opfind -t ifd” will find all of the ROPs where ever they are in the scene. So you can build a DA that would run this, then fetch all of the ROPs.
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
1799 posts
Thank you for your suggestions guys! . I ended up going the python module route on this one (man that stuff is slick!) and created a Sop on which I can drag and drop objects for mass rendering.

Thank you again!
-G
99 posts
Hey Guys, I have a related issue.

So I built an OTL, and I am trying to add a Texture bake component to the tool. Right now it exports geo fine. But I want it to also export a texture it makes.

The mantra node I have that bakes the texture in UV space is in the “OUT” context, and the OTL is in the OBJ context so it will not allow me to drag in the “render” button from the mantra node into the OTL parameter list. I tried adding a ropnet to the OTL subnet, but can't seem to point it at the mantra node - or re-create what I setup in the out context.

What am I doing wrong?

I am able to control the resolution of the mantra node through my OTL.. but have to physically go to the node to render

I would like to be able to just hit the render btw in my OTL and specify a file path for the baked texture like I can so easily with a ropGeometry node.

Any ideas?
8577 posts
just include ropnet with your mantra inside of your otl, then promote any parms from that mantra to otl UI
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
99 posts
Awesome thank you. So simple. I knew I was just not getting what the ropnet was for.
  • Quick Links