transfering/generating textures in between two meshes

7097   8   4
1799 posts
How do you do map transfer/generation in between two meshes in Houdini? some examples of what I am looking for:

- Create a tangent space normal map from a hi res mesh (without UVs) to a low res mesh

- Transfer the color map from a scan model to a low res model without transfering UVs (by doing ray intersections in 3D space)

What I am looking for is similar to the transfer maps utility in maya or the ultimapper in XSI (however, I am looking for basically the results, even if the process is completely different) . I looked into the help, through several forums, etc. but could not find anything in regards to this.

Thank you in advance!
-G
130 posts
Hi,

See e.g. Attrib Transfer & Transfer color.

The following example:

Help -> Example Files -> Surface node examples -> TransferColor example file

shows in a very simple way how you can transfer a color between two meshes based on proximity.

Hope it helps.
Greg
691 posts
Point clouds in shading context is the way to go, it works very fast.
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
192 posts
didn't you already ask this one?

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=102842#102842 [sidefx.com]
1799 posts
Hey guys! Sorry for the delayed response! Yes, this is indeed a pre-post of the same post I put on the technical discussion forum (I was not getting replies at the time so I wanted to try the post in another forum)

Thank you for the replies! The raytracing/gather solution on the link was indeed the solution I was looking for (as I needed to sample at the texel level) I appreciate all the help!
-G
1799 posts
On another quick note… If one uses point clouds on a shading context instead of a vopsop, does it actually operate on the texels? Or it still just works on the points?
-G
192 posts
grayOlorin
On another quick note… If one uses point clouds on a shading context instead of a vopsop, does it actually operate on the texels? Or it still just works on the points?

yea, if you do your pc lookups in a shader it runs per-sample and not per-point.

the reason why raytracing is better (in this case) is that with a pc lookup you're filtering a bunch of pre-computed samples rather than sampling directly. the result is blurrier and less precise.

point clouds are great for lots of other stuff tho…
1799 posts
Oh man that is good to know . Thank you!
-G
8 posts
grayOlorin
Hey guys! Sorry for the delayed response! Yes, this is indeed a pre-post of the same post I put on the technical discussion forum (I was not getting replies at the time so I wanted to try the post in another forum)

Thank you for the replies! The raytracing/gather solution on the link was indeed the solution I was looking for (as I needed to sample at the texel level) I appreciate all the help!

Would you mind relinking to the other post, or the link you're talking about?
I'm trying to do exactly what youve outlined, but cant find much about said approach.
  • Quick Links