How to use bend to get a bent tube?

12630   10   3
131 posts
Hi,

I am trying to do something like this using the Bend SOP and I tweaked all the parameters but still not exactly able to get this simple result:

Any ideas?
349 posts
Ive never got it to work properley either. I tend to draw a curve and sweep a surface instead.
1799 posts
Hey magneto, if you absolutely ave yo use the bend, did you try setting your rolloff to 0 and changing your origin?
-G
131 posts
Yes I tried setting rolloff to 0 and changing the origin too.

Reason I am trying to do this using bend is because this is very easy to do with a Bend Modifier in Max, so wanted to do the same to learn more about Houdini's Bend SOP. But seems like it doesn't offer as much control.

Thanks.
7025 posts
The Bend SOP can do it, but it's wildly unintuitive Play with the origin, rolloff, and the primary and secondary axis…
131 posts
Thanks, I tried all the params seriously, couldn't get it to work. I got a close shape but the segments on the arc wasn't symmetric, they were skewed.
131 posts
Here is how it's in Max:

191 posts
Use the rk Omni Bend from Exchange:

http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/download.php?fileid=722&type=OTL [sidefx.com]

It will do the trick :-)
131 posts
Wow I am amazed, I got the result I wanted very easily with rk Bend SOP.

It would be even cooler if I could modify params like center in the viewport, using the show handle tool.

Can this be written in a SOP to work like that? Just curious if Houdini allows this sort of functionality for 3rd party SOPs.

Thanks.
1 posts
Hi, i'm new with Houdini and today try to prepare model using Bend deformer and wondering that it not work as other 3D software like Cinema 4D or Maya. But with some experiments i found solution how to bend tube like magneto shows on topic start. It is very simple just don't set value of 0 to Capture Direction Z, it may be 0.0000001 and it works fine but not 0

Hope it helps someone
1 posts
ВадимМикитюк
Hi, i'm new with Houdini and today try to prepare model using Bend deformer and wondering that it not work as other 3D software like Cinema 4D or Maya. But with some experiments i found solution how to bend tube like magneto shows on topic start. It is very simple just don't set value of 0 to Capture Direction Z, it may be 0.0000001 and it works fine but not 0

Hope it helps someone

Yes it did, I had no idea until this!
Thanks!
  • Quick Links