New to Houdini Apprentice 5.5

9829   3   0
436 posts
I am starting to use Master Apprentice version 5.5. Well trying to. Basically the application is not behaving as described in the PDFs. For example, I am using WACOM Intuos. The right click button works in all windows EXCEPT it does NOT fuinction in the 3d views. The Wacom stylus is set to three buttons, and works correctly in 3DS MAX 4, and Maya 4. In the pop-up menues, it is impossible to glide the pointer at an option without turning ON/OFF other options. I am using GeForce2Ultra(64 DDR) with latest nVidia drivers on Win2KPro. In VEX whenever a node is deleted, the app freezes. The app is unstable whenever another OpenGL application, like Rhino (a NURBS modeler www.rhino3d.com ) is also running. At random times, the key shortcuts for switching views (1,2,3,4,etc..) simply stop working. Then start again, then stop, and so on. Many obvious operators do not make sence in their implementation.For example. I have a revolved surface which is using Curve1(NURBS) as a source curve. I would like to trim the revolved NURBS surface with another NURBS curve Curve2. I add a Trim node, but there is only one input. I cannot, at all, specify the surface to be trimmed, and the trim curve. Very confusing. HOW DO I TRIM A SURFACE?
The display options in the nodes do not make sence to me. For example
in the model I have two revolved NURBS surfaces. In the SOP 3d view both are visible. However as soon as I switch to Objects, one or the other disappears. Very confusing.
The PDF documentation is incomplete. For example Trim operator is missing from Glossary, and there is no example in the Tutorial and
User Guide.
>
> HELP!!
>
> Dave Rindner
1631 posts
Hi David,

I'll try to explain how to trim a surface.

To trim a Nurbs Surface, you have to use a Project SOP to project a Nurbs Curve onto the Nurbs Surface. Then, append a Trim SOP to trim the Nurbs Surface.

Here's my attempt at what each flag does:

The Display flag determines what you will see in the viewport, both at the SOP and, more importantly, the Object Levels. The wireframe of the Display geometry is yellow, if it's highlighted, or white, if Highlight is turned off.

The Render flag determines what gets sent to mantra. Usually, you'll put it at the end of the network or a SOP where you want to do test renders with.

The Template flag allows you to view what's happening to other SOPs, eg to check the size of geometry, how the revolved surface will look like while you adjust the curve etc. The wireframe of the Template geometry is grey.

The Footprint flag allows you the option of viewing at what you were working last when you start a new Generator Operation. It also allows the SOP to be selected in the viewport for other Operations, eg, as the second input of the Project SOP.

Here's an example: After the Revolve Operation, you add a Curve SOP to draw a new curve, Curve2. Notice when you add the Curve SOP, the Footprint flag is automatically set on the Revolve SOP? Also, notice the revolved Nurbs surface is still in the viewport but it's wireframe is black?

Now, you can use the Nurbs surface as your guide for Curve2. After you finish it, you can then append a Project SOP to Curve2. Notice at the top of the viewport, there will be prompts, asking you to make your selections.

I hope the above helps.

Cheers!
steven
639 posts
Hi David, I am using Houdini on Wacom Intous 12x12 tablet since the beginning to 5.0. Both pen and the 4D mouse are working perfectly here. I haven't run into any problem at all other than a very minor inconvinent at the ladder slide when I drag it off screen - which it would jump to 10s and 100s real fast.

If your tablet doesn't seem to work on the viewport only, sounds like there could be a display driver issue. Can you please check on it?

I am running on an old GVX1 card.

ALmost forgot to mention, since you're using the GeForce 2, I don't think that GeForce 2 supports Double Buffering. You may have to turn off the Double Buffering under Preferences>General>“Enble Double Buffering”.

Cheers,
Alex
711 posts
Just wanted to say, I use a GeForce2 and don't have probs with double buffering.
In fact, I get really bad flickeing when I turn it off.
  • Quick Links