Normals Follow Path?

6187   13   1
46 posts
Hey there guys how are you doing?
Heres a quick question for you, How can I align normals to the paths flow, iv already added the normals to this polygon path, they keep on pointing up. Is there any way or expression to do this. Sorry my ignorance im just getting acquainted with Houdini.
CheereYo
THx
G.
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
46 posts
This is how it looks like. It should be some kind of domino spiral.

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (231.3 KB)

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
606 posts
Polyframe SOP [sidefx.com] to create tangents on the spiral, plus the image at the end of the page [sidefx.com] should help to figure out the correct attribute names to use.
168 posts
quick trick would be to put polyframe after curve, select “first edge” and rename “tangentu” to “up”

edit: aaagh, eetu was quicker
Albert
150 posts
The Tangent SOP on the Houdini Exchange might also be useful to you:

http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fileid=90&versionid=90 [sidefx.com]
Technical Reel 2015 [vimeo.com]
349 posts
A slightly longer and older way of doing the same…

Attachments:
normal_fix.jpg (263.6 KB)
normals_fix_001.hipnc (53.3 KB)

249 posts
A quick trick is branch the curve into a sort SOP and shift the points by one.

Then wire the first curve into a Point SOP and the shifted curve into the second input. In the normals tab/section $TX2 - $TX and the same for $TZ2 - $TZ.
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
46 posts
Ah the polyframe
Edited by - Nov. 30, 2011 09:32:42
46 posts
Thank you guys for the replies, Yep eetu the polyframe SOP shoud have done also the job. But I came out with smth different . Point SOP/Add Normals/$TX-$TX2 (same Y,Z )this orients points normal along the path.

Attachments:
Untitled-3.jpg (169.8 KB)

46 posts
Now who will tell me how can I break this in single objects so i can use it for simulation.
Im having Problems with the basic instance method, the RBD Point Object isnt responding as it should.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
G.
168 posts
connectivity and partition
Albert
150 posts
phrenzy84

Then wire the first curve into a Point SOP and the shifted curve into the second input. In the normals tab/section $TX2 - $TX and the same for $TZ2 - $TZ.

This solution works in most cases but it's not the actual tangent because it points directly to the next point. The tangent is a mix of the direction to the previous and the next point.

But we would still have to deal with the first and last point of the curve differently. The polyframe is the easiest way to get this correct.

-dennis

Attachments:
tangent.hip (71.2 KB)

Technical Reel 2015 [vimeo.com]
46 posts
Yep your right Dennis I also encountered the problem of the first and last points. Thought I solved it again in another way but I agree with you polyframe is maybe the easiest way.

Danke fuer das Beispiel. Lieben gruss fuer Deutschland von ein ehemaligen Student.

Thx for the tips all of you guys.
G.
46 posts
phrenzy84

Sorry man I saw your post to late, Yes I solved it also that way. But The polyframe does the job. check out Dennis example.
  • Quick Links