Question about continuous fire in H12

4401   10   3
16 posts
I'm working on a pyro sim and I can't figure out how to make a fire burn continuously at the same rate. After a few seconds it always just burns out of control. I'm new to pyro, so I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing but I have fussed with all the settings and can't figure it out. Any tips? I've attached my file so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Attachments:
log_fire.hipnc (1.6 MB)

257 posts
Hi hi,

new to pyro too! it's still burning at increasing rate though but was able to not let it go out of control by decreasing ‘Temperature output’ & ‘Gas released’ under Combustion tab.

eitht.

Attachments:
log_fire_01.hipnc (1.7 MB)

16 posts
That's definitely better with the temperature output and gas released turned down but it's still increasing noticeably. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make fire look like it's been burning for a while and no longer growing, that would be most appreciated. Does it take a certain number of frames for a fire to stabilize?
224 posts
Creating a simple sphere and applying the flames preset should produce a continuous burning fire. The source has a huge impact on the fuel and heat distribution, diabling noise on the fluid source object results in the same amount of fuel / temperature added each frame. This gives a continuous lick of fire, tried it running over 1000 frames, it wiggles but doesn't change in length.
Senior Technical Artist Guerrilla Games
16 posts
I'm not sure what you mean by disabling noise on the fluid source object. Do you mean I should disable noise on the create fuel volume and create temperature volume nodes that are imported into the dop network?

Thanks
696 posts
hcs
I'm not sure what you mean by disabling noise on the fluid source object. Do you mean I should disable noise on the create fuel volume and create temperature volume nodes that are imported into the dop network?

I think he means the very source geometry, before it goes into the DOPs network.
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
257 posts
mm

Attachments:
bb.png (54.4 KB)

16 posts
I see. I used the flames shelf tool when I created the fire sim, but it only created a “create_fuel_volume” and not a “create_density_volume.” Do I need to manually create one? Sorry about all the questions, I am new to pyro and really want to learn.
2624 posts
The flame as a source needs fuel. You do not need to add density for it to work . Look at the node it creates 2 volumes temperature and fuel.

Rob
Gone fishing
257 posts
Sorry for confusing u, both smoke (density) and fire (fuel/temp) got noise parameters. ><
16 posts
Thanks for all your posts guys. I tried turning off the noise on both density and fuel and it didn't do the trick but I think it might have something to do with how I painted the temperature or the source geometry itself or something because tests burning other things are more stable. Still, I think there's something about this that I'm missing and any other suggestions/advice would be great.
  • Quick Links