Problem rendering smoke

2612   3   3
6 posts
Hi! I've recently started to learn Houdini, so I guess this should be a very easy solution but I'm unable to see what's happening here.

I have my simulation for a smoke (using Smoke Solver) but this is what I get when I hit render without tweaking anything and on the right I have a screenshot of my viewport:

How should I render the smoke correctly?

Attachments:
RendervsViewp.jpg (64.6 KB)

696 posts
Hi,

I'd say check which shader is applied to your smoke. By the looks of it I'd say it's basic smoke (or even a constant shader, if I'm not crazy), if any. If you feel up to the task, use the pyro shader cause it's a much better and more robust one. It might take some time to get it right, but there's plenty of posts on the new pyro shader in the forum.

You might want to better set your light sources and make them shadow mapped, instead of raytraced. Also Micropolygon PBR would be preferrable for volume rendering (at least my personal option).

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
Staff
2540 posts
Whatever shader you are using, try cutting the smoke density and shadow density down significantly to match the viewport.

I believe the Basic Smoke and Billowy Smoke have their density settings well above 1 (10 I believe) which could explain the difference right there.
There's at least one school like the old school!
6 posts
woow thanks!!! I was using BillowySmoke Shader and indeed it had the Smoke Denisty too high (10) and I lower it to .4. I changed the render engine to Micropolygon PBR and now I'm tweaking the render settings as well as the shader properties. As soon as I finish playing with that I'll try the pyroshader. Thank you for your answer :wink:

Attachments:
result.jpg (26.5 KB)

• Quick Links