Houdini 13 Wishlist.

156064   209   0
184 posts
Fantastic!

Cheers
1908 posts
Looks like a copy of my 4 year old one from

http://houdinitoolbox.com/houdini.php?asset=6 [houdinitoolbox.com]

Note, the above also has Object and DOP versions inside.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
184 posts
Splendid, double bonus.

Thanks Graham - nice to see some scripts up there too, I'll be having a proper rummage in the morning
4520 posts
I wrote mine from scratch. I think the idea itself is apparent to coders. I even had a prototype Inline VEX SOP in H12 before the Wrangle SOPs came out. But without the VEX equivalent of ch functions, it became really difficult to create spare parameters and eventually hit a bug in updating parameters at the operator level and reflecting the changes at the VOP level
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
1908 posts
Yeah, sorry, chose the wrong word there (copy). Definitely nothing special about doing it. It's hard to believe it's taken SESI so long to add such a simple thing. I have a “feeling” it will be in H13 though

Before 12.5 I made/saw a few attempts at an inline VEX tool with varying degrees of sucess. Most of them would work okay most of the time, but yeah when you start trying to get too crazy things just break. At least that issue is solved now though.
245 posts
It would be cool to have a “per node undo history”, sometimes when I tweak multiple settings on multiple nodes I only want to undo the changes from the first node for example.. instead of bashing ctrl+z till the correct node has reverted to what I want..

So yeah I tought I might add this to the wishlist.. :roll:
48 posts
FabianoBerlim
Reconstructing Surfaces of Particle-Based Fluids Using Anisotropic Kernels - Yu 2010
It's a meshing technology that samples oval spheres, making the mesh very smooth without the need of filters.
This would be fantastic worked into the VDB meshing pipeline somehow.

FabianoBerlim
And there's also a new and VERY impressive technology.
Highly Adaptive Liquid Simulations on Tetrahedral Meshes - Ryoichi Ando 2013
Link to video and paper: http://pub.ist.ac.at/group_wojtan/projects/2013_Ando_HALSoTM/index.html [pub.ist.ac.at]
This one have the code available, which makes it very easy to port. I don't know how much it could be beneficial, but at least is very impressive.
If this could be implemented to be as effective as the video makes it appear, it would be the absolute holy-grail of water simulation! No more cheap-hacks to give the impression of full-scale deep ocean waves! (Well, less cheap hacks at least)

Perhaps a little further off… I'll stick with hoping for the anisotropic particle meshing :-)
4520 posts
No worries. I am as surprised as you that Houdini doesn't have this by default.

I love pushing Houdini to its limits and then you start seeing incorrect behaviour or bugs like you said. Of course when SESI wants it, they build the infrastructure necessary into the core so they aren't limited.

I am bothered that these features are not mirrored in other contexts though. For example no Wrangle POP, or COP (Filter and Generator) exist in the software. To me these should be added automatically to maintain consistency.
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

41 posts
johnnycore
It would be cool to have a “per node undo history”, sometimes when I tweak multiple settings on multiple nodes I only want to undo the changes from the first node for example.. instead of bashing ctrl+z till the correct node has reverted to what I want..

So yeah I tought I might add this to the wishlist.. :roll:

This would be a great feature to have. I could imagine a solution similar to what is no the nodes in Nuke. And the suggestion of a more “live” texture painting tool would be very welcome, maybe in combination with open subdivs?
7025 posts
johnnycore

Are you aware of the per-parameter undo? Shift RMB on a parm does a single level of undo on any parm.

Cheers,

Peter B
1908 posts
pusat
I am bothered that these features are not mirrored in other contexts though. For example no Wrangle POP, or COP (Filter and Generator) exist in the software. To me these should be added automatically to maintain consistency.

Technically all the Wrangle SOPs are are just otl wrappers around the Snippet VOP so it's definitely possible to do the same thing in all the contexts. Still, would be nice if they wrapped them up in those other contexts for users who might not think about it.
4520 posts
Yes that's what I mean. They are straight forward but it's a hassle for individuals to roll out their own when the software should have them by default.

245 posts
pbowmar
johnnycore

Are you aware of the per-parameter undo? Shift RMB on a parm does a single level of undo on any parm.

Cheers,

Peter B

Oh wow thats amazing!
But too bad its just a single undo but I can see myself using this all the time from now on.. :shock:

Thanks for sharing!
1799 posts
Since the IPR renderer is so strong in H12.5, how about adding a geometry display option (below smooth wire shaded) that simply sets the ipr renderer to full screen (with the blend with background option set to on so that the meshes simply look nicely shaded on top of the viewport)?

In games, we have a lot of digital assets were we simply work that way, as it renders almost as fast as a realtime shader. In some cases we even turn off preview as the screen is filled pretty much instantly
-G
7722 posts
grayOlorin
Since the IPR renderer is so strong in H12.5, how about adding a geometry display option (below smooth wire shaded) that simply sets the ipr renderer to full screen (with the blend with background option set to on so that the meshes simply look nicely shaded on top of the viewport)?

In games, we have a lot of digital assets were we simply work that way, as it renders almost as fast as a realtime shader. In some cases we even turn off preview as the screen is filled pretty much instantly

I think that this is highly dependent on your scene and shaders. Given the way how those viewport display options work, I'm not sure it's necessarily a good idea. It's not that hard to do right now as is. Create a render region handle and then maximize it.
1799 posts
Hey Edward, understood. Did not know you could just maximize that handle, I think that and a little python may do the trick
-G
184 posts
Could we get more viewport background options?

Nothing complicated (easy for me to say, I know ):

- Color field (vs editing 3DSceneColors)
- Toggle Background Images per viewport (it can get a bit cramped having multiple views open)
41 posts
I would really love to able to “color pick” more than materials in the render view. Ctrl clicking on a pixel returns the material shaded on that point, maybe Shift clicking could return the geo node? Alt or Ctrl+Shift clicking could return the light that contributes most to the illumination of that pixel.

Would really make it quick to change things without switching from the current context.
43 posts
This wishing well is deep….Hope those of you posting into this long wish list thread are logging RFE's as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Nd_lS9Kcs [youtube.com]

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=768&Itemid=239 [sidefx.com]
85 posts
1) It would be fantastic if there was a central file manager for relinking textures and caches in a hip. I know that C4D for example has this as a feature - could be VERY handy! Simple enough to implement as a tool using python but would be awesome if it was built in

2) Better GUI authoring tools please! This is really painful if you don't have PYQT.

3) the ability to autoreload and dynamicaly build shelves at startup

4) a decent preset manager for nodes so artists can share node presets

5) more shader examples in the gallery please

6) super fast realtime renderer in mantra to rival IRAY please!

7) OOP in vex?

8) +1 COPS! I love them them but refresh issues drive me insane - for example what is going on with the switch COP!?!

cheers!
Sam Swift-Glasman
Art Director
Five AI
  • Quick Links