Houdini 13 Wishlist.

155911   209   0
150 posts
I really wish for a context where we could build relationship/dependency graphs for node level parameters. Something dedicated to rigging would be perfect. Just like modo's node system or maya's node editor.
This would make rigging so much faster, cleaner and more intuitive than messing around with convoluted and slow expressions in the parameters.

I would not mind if this would be directly integrated into the network view with the option to turn these nodes on/off. Houdini's nodes would then have to have the ability to expose their parameters in a VOP like fashion to wire them up. I could do a mockup if someone is interested.

To be honest I don't understand why it wasn't designed like this from the start, as it is a natural extension of Houdini's philosophy. It just feels weird to not be able to do these connections with wires and nodes.
Technical Reel 2015 [vimeo.com]
575 posts
this would be great. a way to control also object transforms with something like a vop. right now I sometimes use a vop on a point and export all needed parameters to the object

Chops would be the best, but it would be better if You can do stuff like matrix multiplication, vector math and stuff like that. there are some nodes for vectors I think, but most work on single channels

Martin
150 posts
True. I also sometimes utilize VOPs for the same purpose. It works but its not very transparent to the user. Do you reference the parameters with a point expression or do you use another way? Those expressions can get really slow if you use a lot of them. I also experienced some update issues with expressions from time to time.
CHOPS would work but right now they are too slow. Especially the Motion View needs to be MUCH faster. Additionally there has to be a way for CHOPS to calculate animated channels on the fly without caching the whole animation range as soon as you change something when all you need is the current frame.
A big problem I have with CHOPs in general and especially in that regard is that you cannot see at a glance which operations work on which channels. I think the interface needs to be more VOP like with all the parameters visible as inputs and outputs and also low level math nodes that operate on them (vector/matrix/quaternion).
Like I said I think modo and maya are good examples for this.
Technical Reel 2015 [vimeo.com]
575 posts
I exported them with chops or point() expressions. A vopnetwork for object transforms, or would be cool for rigging, like You already mentioned.
5 posts
My wish for next 150 versions is : please never sell houdini to autodesk. Thats all .. I am new here, but i love this very active forums with some developers voices and everythink around that. :wink: very good work guys
636 posts
Spawn_x
My wish for next 150 versions is : please never sell houdini to autodesk. Thats all .. I am new here, but i love this very active forums with some developers voices and everythink around that. :wink: very good work guys

we need in the forum the i Like Button :-)

+1
7714 posts
Spawn_x
My wish for next 150 versions is : please never sell houdini to autodesk.

Well, the version number increases every day … today it is 12.5.396, tomorrow it will be 12.5.397, etc … so this means that your wish is only for about 3 months or so :twisted:
5 posts
edward
Spawn_x
My wish for next 150 versions is : please never sell houdini to autodesk.

Well, the version number increases every day … today it is 12.5.396, tomorrow it will be 12.5.397, etc … so this means that your wish is only for about 3 months or so :twisted:

but you know what I though. 150 and unlimited its same for me I dont know specific versions of houdini I know only 11 , 12 , 12.5 … as I wrote I am not so long here
7025 posts
pusat
1. Changing a group name should update all group references automatically.

Yes, this would be a huge benefit. I assume it's hard to do since without this a lot of proceduralism is lost.
2624 posts
Mplay , Mplay, Mplay > All those RFE's I have in, that would make it useful for lighting. from 2009 !

Rob
Gone fishing
284 posts
I don't know if it's been mentioned already (probably has): update the IFD file format (and Mantra… and Houdini) to support nested procedurals!
4512 posts
A couple changes/features for H13:

1. Restoring the network editor color palette to be square again like in H12.
2. Using white color for text when renaming nodes in the dark theme like in H12.
3. Ability to pan over a Snippet VOP's code display in the network editor using MMB instead of blocking it.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
4512 posts
Gear icon to be shown differently when there are presets available.

It's not possible to know which operators have presets just by looking at the gear icon, nor remembering them per operator is practical, unless you added presets yourself. Because even the help cards don't mention it.

If the gear icon was shown differently when the currently selected operator had presets, then it would make it more usable and intuitive. Maybe an orange or yellow colored/tinted gear. That way no available preset would go unnoticed.
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

7025 posts
pusat

Great idea, +1
4512 posts
pbowmar
pusat

Great idea, +1

Thank you

1. ForEach COP (Extremely important for recursive effects).

2. Mirror wrap mode for c/b/finput.

float mirror ( float p )
{
return abs ( p - 2.0f * floor ( ( p + 1.0f ) / 2.0f ) );
}

3. All available wrap modes to be shown as a parameter in COP Input VOP.

4512 posts
RFE: Place New Nodes Immediately to have the new node drop right where the mouse was when tab button was pressed.

Right now it places it randomly somewhere on the network editor, which you have to find and move where you want it to be, which negates the advantage of this feature IMO.

4512 posts
Saving over the current scene shouldn't issue a warning.

I know there is an option for this in the preferences but if you turn this off, then writing over other files on disk also never issues a warning afterwards, which is very dangerous.

IMO writing over existing hip files on disk that's currently not opened in the current Houdini session should always issue a warning, whereas saving over the current scene via Ctrl+S should never issue one by default.

3 posts
update the foreach sop to have iteration controls (when your in the foreach network choose which iteration your on)
36 posts
Houdini Flip needs a polish in the meshing and reseeding technology.
Would be awesome if we could have:

Reconstructing Surfaces of Particle-Based Fluids Using Anisotropic Kernels - Yu 2010
It's a meshing technology that samples oval spheres, making the mesh very smooth without the need of filters.

A Particle-based Method for Preserving Fluid Sheets - Ryoichi Ando 2011
As the name says, get rid of holes in the thin fluid sheets areas. It's also dependent of the technology above.

And there's also a new and VERY impressive technology.
Highly Adaptive Liquid Simulations on Tetrahedral Meshes - Ryoichi Ando 2013
Link to video and paper: http://pub.ist.ac.at/group_wojtan/projects/2013_Ando_HALSoTM/index.html [pub.ist.ac.at]
This one have the code available, which makes it very easy to port. I don't know how much it could be beneficial, but at least is very impressive.
12 posts
Optimize code for OS X and Linux Ubuntu, fix minor bugs (I know 10 for one month of using it, I don't know where to report them and how).
3D Hello!
  • Quick Links