Common Cloth Practices is this acceptable?

5334   5   0
249 posts
Hi guys i have a very generic question,

When using cloth is it best to have the lining of the garment modelled in, even if you wont see it?

I ask because

1, it can be very time consuming

2, It might be more computationally expensive, but if it yields more reliable/stable/better results then i would like to know.

Here is a jacket i am modelling, (just one half to be mirrored and adjusted), so if this was to be used in a cloth sim would it be suitable in its current state?

I have only modelled half way up the inside sleeve, and almost nothing of the inside of the front of the jacket (i intend to keep it closed mainly).
blog [abvfx.wordpress.com]tumblr [andrewbrowne.tumblr.com]twitter [twitter.com]
696 posts
Hi,

If you're intending to sim that, I think you'll have an unpleasant surprise!
It's too detailed and dense. Think of a low-res cage for that and omit details like pockets and seams, even lining. The idea, I believe, is to sim a low-res version of your cloth and then transfer the motion using the Cloth Capture and Cloth Deform SOPs.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
249 posts
Well its always easier to strip detail than to add it, but i thought i seen quite high poly counts of the cloth sims in the demo of H12? Just had a look at the Cloth Demo, one the final example was 75k, 1.5 mins per frame. Im guessing this isn't really reflective of how fast the solver is?

Also should model the interior?
696 posts
Don't get me wrong, it really is fast, but I'm just not sure how it'll interpret the internal folds and details… Those outfits in the demo are indeed the sim geo, but if you look at it, despite the poly count, the topology is quite simple.
I mean, it won't hurt to try and sim what you have, but for efficiency's sake I'd rather go the low-re way.
The fact you can sim thousands of polygons doesn't necessarily mean you should

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
Staff
2540 posts
I don't see why you can't sim a dense cloth like that but yes, reducing the detail would give you a similar result in less time.

As for the thicker parts of the cloth, you can try to increase the thickness via the “thickness” point attribute multiplier to increase the thickness in those areas instead of modelling the folds. Same goes for the cuffs.
There's at least one school like the old school!
249 posts
Thanks guys.

Yeah ive reduced the sim geometry a ton. No button holes, pockets etc. Under 8k.

It still took a long time to sim and therefore to iterate. So im gonna remove the inside like Jeff said and work the thickness attribute, then transfer it over to the hero mesh.
  • Quick Links