Rest Position in Marble shader - H12

3841   6   1
3 posts
Hi everyone.

I 've been having a swimming shader on a geometry while using the marble shader.

Static camera and the geometry with an animated translation in space.

I tried adding a rest positon inside the shader and geometry SOP. But without any luck the shader keeps swimming across the geo.

Any ideas on how I could solve this issue?

Thank you in advance!
299 posts
The rest position solution should work. Hard to say more without seeing the file.
Drive, monkey, drive!
8583 posts
without seeing your file it's just a guess but

applying rest position to geometry will not help until it is applied before any deformation happens
or
if you are applying it after deformation make sure to provide rest snapshot of that geometry as Rest SOP's second input (you can just branch timeshift SOP freeze geometry on any frame you like as rest and use that for second input)

you need to be careful if your geometry is changing topology between frames though
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
3 posts
It should work. Its just a matter of me applying it correctly!

I was able to solve this issue in the past with shader that had the Rest Position built in all ready.

Is just the marble shader does not have the Rest P built in.

They aren't any geometry deformations or topology change. I am just trying to render a turntable!

I 've attached the file below.

Thanks

Attachments:
marble_Rest_P.hipnc (907.7 KB)

2624 posts
Your getting confused in your order of operations. You are doing a sop level transform and then adding a rest sop and not piping the input through the right channel see attached . if you had in coming geometry with animation on at the sop level you could capture the first frame using a timeshift sop.

rob

Attachments:
marble_rest_p_fixed.hipnc (847.6 KB)

Gone fishing
3 posts
Finally I got it to work!

I used a timeshift as the second input aswell.

Thanks Tomas and Rob! 8)
8583 posts
for your case timeshift or even second input is not necessary if you keep rest sop before xform (which is doing all the deformation) but nevertheless it will not do any harm if connected
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links