Dandelion Wire Simulation

4231   2   1
14 posts
Hey folks,
I am trying to create a realistic dandelion simulation and beginning to bang my head against the wall/desk.

I'd like to end up with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYAPFztLMJE [youtube.com]

I have attached my (rather tortured) scene attempt.

My method is to bring all the sop geometry in as one big wire sim and affect gluetoanimation and kangular on the fluff/stem.

There are 3 movements that I'm attempting to capture:
1. The twitching of the fluff
2. The bending of the stem while the prongs are still attached
3. The moving of the prong/fluff when they a re broken.

I am achieving the first movement by affecting the wires with wind with random activation (otherwise the wires settle to still) but I don't want this wind to affect the prongs.

Basically I'm all tangled up and if anyone has any ideas it would help me out a lot.

Thanks all

Attachments:
dandelion_Test.hip (278.2 KB)

2624 posts
Candide
Hey folks,
I am trying to create a realistic dandelion simulation and beginning to bang my head against the wall/desk.

I have attached my (rather tortured) scene attempt.

Basically I'm all tangled up and if anyone has any ideas it would help me out a lot.

Thanks all

Hi,
I would start by breaking the entire project down and hitting broad problems with small tests. Then when you get stuck you can be specific with your questions. That way you can get effective answers from people.
In your case test number one for me with your problem would be.

Seeds release from flower and blow in wind. So with everything static and basic geometry you will need a system that releases the seeds into a dop sim or fly off in the wind via a pop network. This will no doubt be a point attribute that each copy of the seed will get. from scattered points on the flower head.

This could be a random point attribute that counts down between a start and end frame. 1 = glued 0 = no glue . I am suggesting this as clients love to art direct the life out of vfx . See what you can come up with !

Rob
Gone fishing
255 posts
Hi everyone

Im resurrecting this subjet from death anyone has giving more try recently with Dandelion?
Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
  • Quick Links