bake colors to texture map

13941   7   5
194 posts
mmkay, what I would reeeeally like to do is take the colors on this guy and make a texture map of them… preferably one that automatically lines up with default uvs (like from a uvunwrap).

This seems like it should be easy to do, but i haven't found much.

I know someone can help, please?

12++

Attachments:
tronatron--v007--capture.hipnc (407.6 KB)

Staff
2540 posts
Requires a bit of setup.

Added a UV Bake to bake vertex uv's.
Added Nodes including local ROP and SHOP network to hold Mantra ROP to do baking in micropoly mode and two shaders, a basic Cd -> Cf shader and a mantra surface from the gallery.
Added nodes to remove Cd and to apply mantra surface with bake map.

You need to move the render flag to the bake out SOP then hit render on the ROP network or the contained Mantra ROP to bake the map out.

See the attached hip file with added notes to describe what to do.

Attachments:
tronatron_test.jpg (75.9 KB)
tronatron--v007--capture_159_bakemap.hipnc (1.8 MB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
194 posts
thank you so much, this will be super useful for what i'm doing…!

in general, i want to move stuff to unity so texture maps are key in video games. i can't just have a different material for every different color.

12++

oh yeah and there is an error in the polyextrude because of the way 12.5 calculates primitive numbers (or something like that)

he's supposed to look like this:

Attachments:
tronatron.png (107.9 KB)

140 posts
One thing to be aware of is that Mantra doesn't support raytraced modes when rendering to texture. There is an RFE in for this, but no idea if/when it will be addressed.
194 posts
Ok, i kinda figured that. It's ok this is working great for me.

I do wonder if there is some way to edit the colormap after it has been baked and then see the updates in realtime in the viewport…

12++
1743 posts
twelveplusplus
oh yeah and there is an error in the polyextrude because of the way 12.5 calculates primitive numbers (or something like that)

If it might be a bug in PolyExtrude itself, or if there's some primitive order change upstream, please feel free to submit a bug. I was the last person to make any significant changes to PolyExtrude, so it might be my fault.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
120 posts
as a related question, is there yet any way to bake the results of some calculation that includes displacement? Last time I checked, mantra couldn't use the uv texture baking to bake, for example, ambient occlusion for displacement. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if there are any new features I've missed.

I'd really like to see some improved baking functionality… this is one area that renderman really excels in (2d texture baking anything while also considering displacement, or baking to ptex, point cloud, brickmap, etc)
22 posts
Has there been any progress on baking textures to Ptex?
  • Quick Links