[solved][HDK] Visual Studio version for 12.5?

2689   2   1
184 posts
What's the most recent version of Visual Studio compatible with the HDK?

The docs don't say implicitly; though they mention prefixes up to VS2012, all posts here and on od|force seem to suggest it's 2008 (VS9).

The only problem with that is that it's difficult to source - Microsoft's download ( from go.microsoft.com ) doesn't include the C++ x64 tools in the installer.

Any pointers?

Edit: Solved; the 64bit compilers are in the Windows SDK installer…:p
113 posts
So Far, all that I have discovered is that you need Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 from Visual Studio 9.0.

I'm still figuring out how to get hold of a copy. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU does not work.

When you run hcustom, the std-out says it's working on it, “Making ‘SOP_Star.o’ and ‘Ccygwin64/home/Chris/houdini12.5/dso\SOP_Star.dll’ from ‘SOP_Star.C’” But Alas, nothing is output.

I have access to the full version of Visual Studio 9.0 at work but so far no dice at home .

Does anyone know how to snag a version of Visual Studio 9.0?
It's not like they have any old copies picking up dust on the shelves.
113 posts
So Far, all that I have discovered is that you need Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 from Visual Studio 9.0.

I'm still figuring out how to get hold of a copy. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU does not work.

When you run hcustom, the std-out says it's working on it, “Making ‘SOP_Star.o’ and ‘Ccygwin64/home/Chris/houdini12.5/dso\SOP_Star.dll’ from ‘SOP_Star.C’” But Alas, nothing is output.

I have access to the full version of Visual Studio 9.0 at work but so far no dice at home .

Does anyone know how to snag a version of Visual Studio 9.0?
It's not like they have any old copies picking up dust on the shelves.
  • Quick Links