http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/houdini-7.0.142/ [sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au]

170 posts
Huh?! :shock:
It's been there for some time now.
The Things I Do For Love!
330 posts
maybe a day or 2?
28 posts
Nope. According to http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au [sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au] it's been around since “29 July 2004” so it's been a good five days or so.
405 posts
Hey Guys,

Wow big improvement!!! Yeah I like this version immedately when it came up a bunch of the previous bugs were gone. Thanks for posting the link.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
53 posts
if anyone wants to upgrade to houdini 7 after you upgraded to service pack 2, then dont do it. Sidefx will need to upgrade their install shield or something because it just doesnt want to install. it goes through the entire install and at the end it says that the install has been interrupted and hasnt modified the system. you go into the new houdini directory and it will be empty.

oi.

Apparantely the installer has been upgraded from version 2.0 to 3.0.
hopefully this can be patched up soon
-m-k-
4140 posts
I'm assuming you're talking about XP. There's a *lot* of things out there that are going to get busted with SP2…I'm sure SESI is looking at it now. Personally, if I used XP in production, I wouldn't dream of installing SP2 for at least a few months to let things shake out. It's something MS had to do(at least do a basic increase in security - could have used more), but it will take a while before apps will catch up.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
53 posts
yeah. i mainly installed it because for some reason a number of people i know have been getting this one specific/worm thing that keeps comming back no matter how hard we try. guessing its an isp problem, because no matter how up to date our windows was it wasnt solved.

all i have to do is leave my pc on for a few hours.. not even browse the net. and poof. its back.
-m-k-
4140 posts
You won't need SP2 to solve that problem - there's no single worm out there that installing SP2 will stop. SP2 isn't a security fix per se - it's installing a lot of low level changes to *allow* them to address security issues. In fact, IBM recently annouinced to all their staff to *not* install it - it has more potential for breaking things then solving them. I would have waited for a few months to let the bugs get settled and the compatibility issues solved. There's a lot of them.

The worm you're getting is another issue. All the security updates that MS has released have dealt with the active hunter-seeker worms out there. You have another problem - I suspect you're already infected and you can't clear it out.

Anyway - moot now, unfortunately…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
325 posts
JColdrick,

could u give me a link on the source of the info concerning the ‘drawbacks’ of SP2, and that IBM postponing it's usage especially?

Thanks
I liked the Mustang
330 posts
that story was on slashdot recently. i think it was more IBM's procedure of wanting to test it all first rather than a specific problem with the sp2 though. its like longhorn on a smaller scale, you wouldnt install that into a production environment the day it was released
4140 posts
Yes, it wasn't particularly that SP2 is “buggy”(although the final release candidate supposedly was only able to reboot on 3 out of 5 machines or something), it's that any major SP release, IBM goes through it's own vetting and repackages so their internal apps don't break. It's a smart way to do things when you can afford that sort of tech support, but in lieu of that infrastructure, as mentioned, racing to install SP2 in a production environment simply isn't a good idea, as this thread attests. And my primary point was that your problems being re-infected, assuming you've already installed the latest security patches, is indicative of something more serious.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
325 posts
u mean www.slashdot.org ?
I liked the Mustang
4140 posts
Yes, often referred to as /.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links