Some POP to DOP collision problem

4265   7   2
152 posts
Dear Forumers,

Semi-noob here, almost pulling my hair out!!!

I have particles setup as dynamic objects.

I have a box as a static dynamic object.

I have gravity.

The thing I cannot understand is the particles fall and collide with the box fine……

UNLESS……

I use a transform node between the box node and the DOP import node (I want a flatter box).

Originally I changed the scale in the box node but then I remembered a tutorial telling me that dynamic objects can go weird if you do that rather than use a transform node.

Problem is neither seem to work….

WTF is going on?

Thanks,

5DN.
1391 posts
When you use transform node ,So you should Turn On “Use Deforming Geometry” option in the Static Object !
Did you do this ?

Attachments:
JKDynamic.hip (288.4 KB)

https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
152 posts
No I didn't, but I just did and it still doesn't work
2624 posts
Unfortunately my Crystal ball has stopped working.So post a simplified scene file and be as descriptive as possible with the issue at hand. As so far your post is anything but .

Rob
Gone fishing
152 posts
circusmonkey
Unfortunately my Crystal ball has stopped working.So post a simplified scene file and be as descriptive as possible with the issue at hand. As so far your post is anything but .

Rob

obviously noob enough to not understand this at first. Houdini's complicated eh?

I am attempting to use a tune I made to vibrate a plane with particles on it, firstly to see what happens, and secondly to develop further a music video.

It occured to me there should be an easy way to spread particles on the plane, then vibrate it, but I decided to create them out of a sphere, apply gravity, play the sim for a while then after some particles were spread on the plane, set this as their initial state, and start the vibrating from there.

I plugged the audio into the planes transform y (into a xform node) using a CHOPNET. Then made sphere emit particles, then made particles dynamic. I figure I had to disconnect the CHOPNET from the plane to allow the particles to settle onto the plane before settting their intial state.

Wondering if the fact it was a plane rather than a box (for some wierd reason?) was the problem I changed it to a box.

Then I encountered the problem above.

attaching scene file.

Thanks for any help you can give

5DN

Attachments:
could this be.hip (174.7 KB)

606 posts
The box is just too thin. DOPs by default builds a volume representation of your object to use for collisions. (AutoDOPNetwork->box_object1->Collisions->Volume)

Your object is 10 units wide and 0.1 units thick, so that is a 100/1 ratio. The default volume resolution is 30 divisions along the longest axis, so your geometry is too thin to register in this voxelisation. You either need to increase the volume divisions to above 100, or make your box thicker.
152 posts
THANKS. that has solved it.

31 posts
thank for this tip. For some reason my collision object stopped working on an unrelated project. I tried everything and it was this tip that helped me fix the problem.

very much appreciated.
This is my blog on using Houdini http://urubolous.tumblr.com/ [urubolous.tumblr.com]
  • Quick Links