Reduce the velocity of fractures after collision

3625   4   0
310 posts
Hello!
I have a simulation where a magnet force makes a fractured object explode. After the fractured pieces hit the ground, then continue moving indefinitely. How would you recommend I reduce the velocity of shards after the impact of the collision, so that they come to a stand still.

Thanks!
12477 posts
Try adding a Drag DOP, but first try upping the friction on the fracturedobject and ground plane.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
310 posts
Thanks for the reply! I tried a drag dop, but it was having a really odd reaction to my magnet force. It seemed to blow my magnet force up, increasing the velocity substantially. This is the opposite effect I would expect. I'll try increasing the friction on both objects, as you suggest. Thanks for the tip
310 posts
Hi there,
I'm still trying to figure this problem out to no avail. The drag force isn't working properly with my magnet force, so my fractured pieces refuse to lose velocity after colliding with the ground. I have temporarily disabled the drag force, but feel free to enable it to see the problem. If there is any method you can recommend to bring my shards to a stop after colliding with the ground, I would appreciate it. I also tried adding a VOP Force and animating the velocity to 0 after the collision, but this didn't work as well.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have attached the file here.

Cheers

Attachments:
Explosion_Test_09b.hipnc (1.3 MB)

310 posts
Hi! I figured out the solution. The size of my fractured sim, as well as they fractures themselves, were too small. Increasing the size of the overall sim fixed the problems. I also used particles with my fractures, to save time and memory.
  • Quick Links