Combining Edges

4972   4   1
14 posts
Hey,

I've attached a file to help explain my problem.

Desired Result: Group outside edges of a polygon, cut into the shape and be left with the resulting edges that were in the original outside edges group.

Problem: The best approach I have found (Method 1 in the file) breaks the edges down into individual primitives. I get the geometry I'm looking for but I can't work out how to combine the edge primitives again. I want any attaching edges to appear as one long edge.

Please take a look and let me know if there is a solution to my method or a better approach all together.

Thanks!

Attachments:
outsideEdges.hip (107.4 KB)

4515 posts
I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do but are you trying to create the 2d convex hull? Because otherwise if you use Facet and Remove Inline Points after attribcreate_outsideEdge, it works. But I am not sure if that's what you want.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
14 posts
You can see in Method 0 I use a facet SOP at that point, but the issue is I need to then break the polygon down into it's edges, and need to distinguish between the original outside ones, and the ones that have been created due to cutting out of the shape.

The end result I'm looking for is the output of method 1 but without the inline points. Hope that makes more sense.
228 posts
I'm also not sure exactly what you're after, but is this it?

You can use a join SOP to combine the primitives. You can also remove in line points with the refine node, not sure if that's what you want?

Attachments:
danEdgesUnrefine.JPG (89.0 KB)
danEdges.JPG (85.6 KB)

www.kmcnamara.com
14 posts
The join SOP is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
  • Quick Links