microsolvers and FLIP fluids

6138   6   3
336 posts
I'm looking for examples of using microsolvers like Gas Adjust Elasticity with FLIP fluid solvers, is that a no go? All the examples I've seen use particle fluid solvers
606 posts
Depends. Some microsolvers are made with a certain solver in mind, but some are more general. One clear classification is whether a microsolver operates on geometry or volume data, and that naturally dictates where it can be used. FLIP solver uses both particle geometry and volume fields so in theory microsolvers from both camps could be used, but it really depends on the given solver. You need to understand the FLIP solver quite well to really know what microsolvers make sense in which stage of the solver.

Attached is the minimal example of attaching a Gas Blur microsolver to the FLIP solver. It's set to blur the vel field, resulting in a more viscous behaviour.
I have some more involved hips up here [forums.odforce.net], here [forums.odforce.net], here [forums.odforce.net] and here [forums.odforce.net].

Attachments:
gasblurflip.hip (1.5 MB)

336 posts
Extremely helpful examples, thanks!
336 posts
Which brings up my next question, is it possible to mix colors with with FLIP fluid objects, like swirling paint. again, I've seen examples with particle fluid objects but not with FLIP
606 posts
Yeah, here's a quickie example. I just added point colors to the flip sources, and they survive the simulation. If you want individual particle colors to be mixed then you need to do that yourself. Depending on how you render the simulation output, you might need to transfer the color from the particles to the volume, as I did here. (just add Cd to the existing v)

Attachments:
ee_flip_color_mix.hip (1.6 MB)

336 posts
Fresher than fresh! thanks man
443 posts
here is an example using microsolvers with flip solver.

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/21496-mixing-advecting-cd-in-flip-sim-with-multiple-objects/ [forums.odforce.net]
  • Quick Links