RealFlow + Houdini geometry export bugs

4874   3   1
325 posts
Hi there.

Here is my problem.

What I'm trying to do - is to make a basic siulation with a ball or a box floating on a water surface.

First I creat a basic cube/sphere geometry. I'm trying different variants - with consolidated points and not, meshes and polygons, triangulated and quadrangulated faces. Then I press RMB->Save geometry as and type in “my_geometry.obj”. Thus(as I hope) I get an *.obj file that I later import into RealFlow. I didn't try using any plugins yet (should I?).Whenever I import such geometry - I get all sorts of strange behavior with collision detections - the geometry swirls and jumps in a jerky way and than suddenly dissappears, literaly ruining the whole simulation.

What I'm trying to do - is to basically make a ball or a box float on a water surface. And actually it's not the problem with the RealFlow scene setup - as soon as I use a geometry made and exported from Silo1.3 for example - it works all right, the same as with 3dmax geometry.

I know that the answer is close somewhere out there… So - what should I do to export “correct” geometry from Houdini - to later use it in RealFlow?

Thanks.
I liked the Mustang
7726 posts
I thought RealFlow only handles polygon triangles? Append a Convert SOP to make sure everything is polygons and then append a default Divide SOP which will triangulate the polygons. Try saving that as your .obj.
543 posts
edward
I thought RealFlow only handles polygon triangles? Append a Convert SOP to make sure everything is polygons and then append a default Divide SOP which will triangulate the polygons. Try saving that as your .obj.
Hello MADjestic,

I think Edward's got it figured out for you, Real Flow requires the geometry to be triangular poly's only. You can also use the Real Flow plugins to export .sd files which are more flexible than .obj's. However, try to avoid any frame offsets in your sd file, there's a bug in RF3 that's giving me fits, should be resolved soon.

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
325 posts
Thanks guys! You are the best (you always were)!
I liked the Mustang
  • Quick Links