VEX Profiling

2290   4   0
3 posts
Would someone from sidefx please confirm the exact definitions of the vex profiling columns?

Function -
Excl. Secs -
Incl. Secs -
Calls Instructions -
Instr. Per Call -
Local Storage -

Some are obvious to some, while others are not. I imagine others have wondered this too. Adding them to the Mantra render node documentation would be prudent.

Thanks,
Ryan
7722 posts
This is a user supported forum. If you want sidefx to respond, you should contact support.
3 posts
Had not realized that. Will do. Thanks
4516 posts
rheniser
Had not realized that. Will do. Thanks

If you find out, please post them here. I am looking for the same info but no luck so far.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
3 posts
The VEX profiling column headings are:

* Function - The name of the VEX function (i.e. opshop/mantrasurface)
* Excl. Secs - The amount of time spent executing the VEX function exclusively.
* Incl. Secs - The amount of time spent executing the VEX function including all the functions it calls indirectly. For example, there were only 6.85 seconds spent evaluating opshop/mantrasurface. The mantrasurface shader makes futher ray-tracing calls which invoke shaders like opdefShop/v_rayshadow or opdefShop/v_tracer_geometry, the inclusive time includes the time spent in these shaders.
* Calls - The number of times the function was called (i.e. there weere 2.5M shader evaluations for opshop/mantrasurface)
* Instructions - The total number of individual VEX instructions executed during evaluation of the shader. Instructions are individual operations like “add” or “divide”.
* Instr. Per Call - The average numver of instructions per evaluation of the shader. This is typically the *Instructions* divided by the *Calls*
* SIMD - VEX usually runs in SIMD mode, this column gives the average SIMD efficiency (i.e. the number of SIMD processors). Higher numbers are usually better.
* SIMD Min - This is the minimum number of SIMD processors active when running a shader.
* SIMD Max - The maximum number of SIMD processors active when running a shader.
* Code Size - The number of bytes required to store the shader code.
* Local Storage - The number of bytes required to store local variables when running the shader.
* Global Storage - The number of bytes required to store global variables when running the shader.

After the shader summary, there's a breakdown of how many times each VEX instruction was invoked.
  • Quick Links